Printing Edison Diamond Disc Labels

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
jino0372
Victor Jr

Printing Edison Diamond Disc Labels

Post by jino0372 »

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum and I have a quick question. I have a few diamond disc where the label fell off and is missing. I've search the forum, Google, and Youtube to find a method in which to replace them and I found nothing so far.

I've found the label images on the internet. I guess I can try printing on some label stock and experimenting until I get the dimensions correct. Is there an easier or better way?

Thanks!

Jim

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Printing Edison Diamond Disc Labels

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Charles Gregory published a four-volume set of Edison Diamond Disc labels and Discography which has been previously offered at steep discount here on the forum. There may be no more left, but perhaps someone can say if this is so or not.

If the images you've found on the internet are of high-enough resolution you could certainly experiment with those.
Use a ruler to measure the exact diameter of an existing label and try to match this with your printout. Also boost the black print contrast so the image is suitably dark.

I have the set of books, and could scan some labels if you pm me with the catalog numbers. The numbers are embossed in the blank area in the center of the discs.
Hope this helps!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

barnettrp21122 wrote:Charles Gregory published a four-volume set of Edison Diamond Disc labels and Discography which has been previously offered at steep discount here on the forum. There may be no more left, but perhaps someone can say if this is so or not.
Sorry - the books are sold out.

George P.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I photographed a label and inserted in a word file so I could replace its original text with the missing one on my record. You can try the same, the file is attached. There are some variants of the label, I only photographed one, hope it is the one you are looking for.
Attachments
Edison Template.docx
(424.58 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

There is a set of the Gregory books in the upcoming Stanton auction.

Jim

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

If you have the scanned images, you can print from Microsoft Word, I set up a table for the image so it will print to the correct size.

First, take the label image into a photo editor and do any improvements (retouching, adjusting brightness/contrast/etc.). Crop the image to the edge of the label, the image area should be square dimensions.

In Word, insert a once-cell table. Right-click on the table and select Table Properties.
On the "Table" tab, press the Options... button. Change the top/bottom/left/right cell margins to zero, and deselect the checkbox for "Automatically resize to fit contents". Press OK.

Select the "Row" tab. Tick the "Specify height" checkbox, and insert the diameter of the label. To the right, select "Row height is:" dropdown to be "Exactly".

Select the "Colum" tab. Check the "Preferred Width:" checkbox and insert the diameter of the label.

Now press the "OK" button, and the dialog box will close and your table will be set up. Save the file.

In the Word, click inside the table to position the cursor. Select the Word tab "Insert", select the "picture" button, which will open a file dialog box for you to select the image file you want to insert (the image you've saved of the label scan). The image should appear inside the table. You may need to resize the image to fit the table height precisely (the width will expand if the image is larger than the table).

Save, then print the document. Measure the label on the printout. You may need to make slight adjustments to the table dimensions so the images will print consistently each time.

It's a bit fiddly to get set up, but once you get it correct it will be easy to use.

Word's not really the best program to be printing from. I would find it easier to setup and print using Corel Draw! or Adobe Illustrator, but they are less common programs and have a steeper learning curve.

Good luck.