Brunwsick Model 210

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Brunwsick Model 210

Post by dzavracky »

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine found this Brunswick model 210 on the side of the road a few weeks ago, and I plan on restoring it. Is this an early Brunswick?

Firstly thought a couple questions..

1. I was able to revive the finish on the inside of the lid (I cleaned it with GOJO)
2. What is the best way to strip and refinish the outside of the cabinet? I think it looks horrible haha
3. the top of the lid needs a new piece of veneer. where do i get mahogany veneer?
4. What is wrong with the motor haha. The platter doesn't sit down all the way on it, and the male end of the crank is too high for the crank to be screwed on.
5. Is the auto brake original?

Do you guys have any more tips for me? I'm 20 years old and have only been doing this for about 2 years, so I dont know too many tips for fixing phonographs. I have three projects right now, the spring on my edison standard, and my columbia k-2.

thanks everyone!

David
Attachments
IMG_4567 (1).jpg
IMG_4572.jpg
IMG_4575.jpg
IMG_4559.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Brunwsick Model 210

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

GREAT find--and beside the road? What kind of person throws out a nice machine?

I just recently relocated to Nashville Tennessee so fairly local. Nice to see Knoxville represent.

Not sure about the vintage of it.

Mahogany veneer--you want thick veneer. Go to get it from a reputable online supplier or a fine cabinetmaker locally, but don't buy paperbacked or adhesive-backed veneers. Only buy thick regular stuff.

Or better yet, try salvaging the veneer that's already there. I bought a Victor Victrola once that had been out in a barn for 50 years and gotten wet to the point where the veneer peeled. It was restorable--and other Forum members have done more with worse.

The auto brake IS original and is a special Brunswick design that is very user-friendly, maybe even more so than the contemporary one on Victrolas.

Refinish with the directions on the Victor-Victrola page website http://www.victor-victrola.com/RESTORATION%20(main).htm that should tell you everything you want to know about shining up an old phonograph.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Brunwsick Model 210

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

GREAT find--and beside the road? What kind of person throws out a nice machine?

I just recently relocated to Nashville Tennessee so fairly local. Nice to see Knoxville represent.

Not sure about the vintage of it.

Mahogany veneer--you want thick veneer. Go to get it from a reputable online supplier or a fine cabinetmaker locally, but don't buy paperbacked or adhesive-backed veneers. Only buy thick regular stuff.

Or better yet, try salvaging the veneer that's already there. I bought a Victor Victrola once that had been out in a barn for 50 years and gotten wet to the point where the veneer peeled. It was restorable--and other Forum members have done more with worse.

The auto brake IS original and is a special Brunswick design that is very user-friendly, maybe even more so than the contemporary one on Victrolas.

Refinish with the directions on the Victor-Victrola page website http://www.victor-victrola.com/RESTORATION%20(main).htm that should tell you everything you want to know about shining up an old phonograph.