Mica Replacement tips

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
nsjames
Victor Jr

Mica Replacement tips

Post by nsjames »

So, I have this machine:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=4407

it likely is an OkeH tonearm. I've measured the mica at just about 2", but I assume there's some more under the brass ring.
Pretty sure that the 2 1/16 mica from antique phono supply will work. What else do I need? Gaskets?

Anything special about installation?

School me on mica replacement.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Mica Replacement tips

Post by Brad »

I would suggest starting out by checking this step by step rebuild for a Victor exhibition. This should answer a lot of questions and head you in the right direction: http://www.nipperhead.com/old/rep_exhib.htm

Then check out Antique Phonograph Supply Company for replacement mica and gaskets/tubing.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

nsjames
Victor Jr

Post by nsjames »

Yeah, Antique Phono was the place I had planned on ordering from. I was going to order the Heinneman rebuild it and a few hundred soft tone needles.

Someone has mentioned a glass replacement, is the glass better than Mica?

This unit will likely be a conversation piece and played sparingly. I just want it to be in proper working order.

Thanks for the link to the rebuild. It looks like something I can figure out pretty easily.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I know that glass was used in the early Edison automatic reproducer, but I don't know if it was ever used by anyone else. With glass, you have to glus the linkage eyelet to the center of the glass diaphragm.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

nsjames
Victor Jr

Post by nsjames »

I'll stick with the Mica then.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Is the original mica diaphragm damaged? It looks fine in the photograph, so shouldn't really need replacing.

nsjames
Victor Jr

Post by nsjames »

There's a "buzzing" noise from the mica while it's playing a record. There's also some cracking around the outer edges that the camera couldn't pick up in the photo.

I figure that since i'm working on it I would just do the Mica and not worry about it for another hundred years.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Fair enough. If there are any cracks or delamination of the mica layers, then it indeed should be replaced.

nsjames
Victor Jr

Post by nsjames »

I figure the buzzing is from the small cracks and the edges rubbing against one another.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

There is nothing wrong with your mica. The buzzing is due the rubber gaskets being shot. The mica is buzzing around in the gap between the dried up, shrunken gaskets. Carefully disassemble the reproducer and install new gasket hose, (available from the suppliers), and you're good to go. Also, should re-wax the connection point where the arm screws to the mica.