New Guy

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
tmea
Victor Jr

New Guy

Post by tmea »

Hello to all. What a great forum. I have been restoring and playing antique radios for many years but recently decided to finally get a phonograph. Got a nice Columbia Graphonola Nonpareli. It is in great condition and plays very well. It also winds and plays with no clunking or rumbling noises. I do have some questions for all of you mostly about spare parts and maintenance. Here they are:

- I oiled the machine, it works great but is comletely caked in nearly dried grease. I am very mechanicaly inclined so I'm thinking about taking it down and cleaning everything including the four motor springs. Any wisdom to pass on to me? I have read almost everything I could find on this site.

- Govenor weights. Literaly shedding material all over the inside of the cabinet. Look like they are made of a whie rubber substance but could be completely oxydized lead too. I'm afraid to touch them. Are these available?

- Reporducer arm is pitted. I understand this is pot metal. Is there any reasonable way to shine it up or am I better off leaving the petina on it?

- Need two cabinet parts: top hold open strut. Someone forced it down without unlatching it. I was able to straighten it but the bottom was broken off. I cut a new wedge into it and it works for now but is too short. Anyone know where I can find another one? finally, a replacement knob for the sound door. These are wood but are attached to the door by dowel not a screw. Looking for a replacement so I don't have to fabricate one of those too.

I would appreciate any of your advice and knowledge. I really enjoy this machine and want to get it up to 100%.

Thanks!

Tom

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: New Guy

Post by Valecnik »

Greetings Tom from the owner of a restored 1923 Stromberg Carlson super hetrodyne battery set on which I can listen to the Czech AM radio. Well at least I can pick up one station with no antenna.

Re. your questions:

Regarding, cleaning, oiling, if it's not clunking I would not do the springs. You might get by adding some vaseline or molybednum grease. Other more technically oriented people on the forum can provide more detail.

Governor weights - They probably are oxisized lead. Google Ron Sitko on internet. If the new weights are available, he's probably got them.

Reproducer - leave it alone. Careful with it!

Cabinet parts - Advertise in "Yankee trader" with pictures of what you are looking for. Somebody might come through for you.

Good luck!

tmea
Victor Jr

Re: New Guy

Post by tmea »

Valecnik:
Thanks for the advice. I'll stick to just doing a little cleaning and oiling. I have made another post with my govenor problem. They are coming apart quickly. The pictures tell it all. I have to find replacements or find something to put on them to stabilize their deterioration. Don't think it will be long before they come off.

Tom