Govenor Help

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
tmea
Victor Jr

Govenor Help

Post by tmea »

All:

Attached are pics of the govenor on my new Columbia Grafonola Nonpareil. I have a problem with the govenor weights. They appear to be made of plaster. They are deteriorated and coming apart. They cannot be touched or they will crumbe. A few plays and the bottom of the motor box and mechanism is covered with residu from the weights.

Do any of you know of anything I can paint on to the weights to preserve them or know where I might be able to get replacements? Looking for advice or ideas.

Thanks in advance

Tom

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Re: Govenor Help

Post by antique1973 »

I think your best bet is to replace the governor or at least the weights.
I have never seen plaster governor weights, but I am not too familiar with
Columbias. In any case they are shot for sure.

I get stuff like that from George, he tends to have the best prices:

http://www.worldofgramophones.com/repairgeorge.html

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

I've seen that look before! They definitely are lead weights that are
deteriorating because of past exposure to too much moisture. No telling how that happened, because the rest of the machine looks pretty good. There really is no choice but to replace them. You might try Antique Phonograph Supply Co. for a pair. Because they were riveted on the springs by Columbia, you'll have to get those as well. Good luck. :)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The white stuff is lead oxide. Kind of like rust for lead. It poses no problems for your governor. Just knock off the flakes and lightly oil them to prevent further oxidation. It looks worse than it really is.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Isn't this the stuff in "lead" paint? Looks like it would make a nice white pigment. If I were you, I wouldn't touch it or breathe it. OTOH, I grew up in the era of leaded gasoline and house paint, so I'm probably addled anyway.

tmea
Victor Jr

Post by tmea »

Many thanks to all for your advice. Went ahead and cleaned the weights off. Not nearly as bad as they looked. There was shiny lead underneath. Cleaned the oxidation off and added a light coat of oil and they are as good as new. Also adjusted the govenor and now it works perfectly with the correct record speed in the middle of the speed scale. Great forum, thanks for the help.

Tom