Working on a Victor VV-IX Spring Problem

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Working on a Victor VV-IX Spring Problem

Post by Brad »

When I install a new spring, I have an open tub of grease and a disposable 1" paint brush. As I am working the spring around and into the barrel, I pause and use the brush to paint grease on the inner side of the spring for the next 1-2 feet of the spring that is about to go into the barrel. By greasing the inner side of the spring, the grease does not get removed by your glove as you work it around and in. When the spring in all installed, the entire length of the spring is greased.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I put a heaped tablespoon full of grease in the bottom of the barrel & spread it roughly around, then I load the spring in dry. As the coils entre the barrel, they seem to pick up grease off the bottom.
Once the spring is completely in, then I load half the remaining space in the centre coils with grease, so it's half grease half air :)
The first time you wind the motor, the grease gets distributed evenly over the coils.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

dennman6 wrote:This thread makes me think about attempting a regreasing of springs myself...on a 1926 Victor Credenza that has a FOUR-spring motor. Walt Sommers did a beautiful restoration on the Orthophonic soundbox in May, so the Credenza sounds excellent now. BUT-it thumps a little when it plays, which tells me it needs a cleaning & new grease. Holds steady, true speed though. Having never tried this, I'm thinking of getting a copy of "The Complete Talking Machine". I've seen & downloaded an Edison service guide on spring removal, but that was a two-spring machine. I have the motorboard of an Amberola VIII out in the garage on the workbench-I could start experimenting with that. Then I have a 1926 Brunswick Panatrope 106 portable with a single-spring motor-I COULD graduate to that. And then would come the Credenza...maybe. The manual labor & messy greasiness of the job doesn't deter me,but handling all four springs in the proper sequence seems a tad daunting. One false move & I've screwed up a beautiful machine. How many of you have gone beyond the two-spring motors to three and four-spring machines?

Dennis Forkel

I have not tried a 4 spring yet but its the same barrels, you just have two to
contend with. If you can do a 2 spring Victor you can do the 4 spring, its just
twice as much work. :shock:

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

gramophoneshane wrote:I put a heaped tablespoon full of grease in the bottom of the barrel & spread it roughly around, then I load the spring in dry. As the coils entre the barrel, they seem to pick up grease off the bottom.
Once the spring is completely in, then I load half the remaining space in the centre coils with grease, so it's half grease half air :)
The first time you wind the motor, the grease gets distributed evenly over the coils.
Shane, I will try your method. I am too lazy to use a brush like Brad does. :twisted: :lol:

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

gramophoneshane wrote:I put a heaped tablespoon full of grease in the bottom of the barrel & spread it roughly around, then I load the spring in dry. As the coils entre the barrel, they seem to pick up grease off the bottom.
Thanks Shane. I'll try that next time. Handling dry springs should be much easier than pre-greased.
Andreas

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

antique1973 wrote:

I have not tried a 4 spring yet but its the same barrels, you just have two to
contend with. If you can do a 2 spring Victor you can do the 4 spring, its just
twice as much work. :shock:
So true :)
Just remember there's no law to say you have to do all 4 springs in one sitting. You can do the first 2, then wait an hour, a day, a week or a month if you're not breaking your neck to get the machine up & running, before tackling the next barrel.
I usually draw a rough diagram to remind me which way the springs were loaded, but with this new fangled invention, the digital camera, it's probably just as easy to take a couple photos- especially if you have a caring partner with clean hands to push the shutter button.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

alang wrote: Thanks Shane. I'll try that next time. Handling dry springs should be much easier than pre-greased.
Andreas
It also leaves both hands free to concerntrate on keeping control of the spring & barrel.
But really, like many things, there is no 100% right/wrong way of doing it. You just have to choose the best way that you feel comfortable & confident with.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

gramophoneshane wrote:
alang wrote: Thanks Shane. I'll try that next time. Handling dry springs should be much easier than pre-greased.
Andreas
It also leaves both hands free to concerntrate on keeping control of the spring & barrel.
But really, like many things, there is no 100% right/wrong way of doing it. You just have to choose the best way that you feel comfortable & confident with.

I agree with Shane. I am sure Brad's method is also very effective, and everyone has a slightly different approach.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

By the way, I have since converted to Brad's method. Now I add a small amount of grease
to the barrel, then apply grease by hand as I am winding it back in. After that about
a tablespoon of grease on top. This had optimal results after my last 3 overhauls.