Steel needles-who are your favourite vendors?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
dennman6
Victor I

Steel needles-who are your favourite vendors?

Post by dennman6 »

Just wondering where in the USA fellow collectors buy their steel needles. I've had an excellent reproducer rebuild on my Brunswick Panatrope 106 done by www.victrolarepaircenter.com in Vermont, & bought 4 packs of needles at that time. A thousand would cost me forty-three dollars there, in the little packs of 100. I see that Wyatt's Musical Americana offers a thousande in bulk for about half that. Never tried them, don't know the quality. I'd like to try getting them in bulk-anyone had experience in doing this & were you satisfied with the quality of the needles? I'm looking for soft tone mostly, possibly would get an equal number of medium tone as well.

Dennis Forkel

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Steel needles-who are your favourite vendors?

Post by Brad »

I buy them by the the thousand from Wyatt's. I have always been very pleased.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

dennman6
Victor I

Post by dennman6 »

Thank you Brad. I appreciate the recommendation. Wonder if I could just send them an empty coffee can & tell 'em to "fill 'er up"...

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

The last batch I bought in bulk was from:

http://www.zwarteschijf.nl/

Excellent quality, reasonable price.

I also like Mike Child's needles (seller "soundgen" on ebay). His quality is excellent, and the price is very good when you buy direct in large quantities.

http://gramophoneneedles.blogspot.com/

He sells 4 different types: loud, medium, soft, extra soft. His extra soft is similar to other vendors' soft. I like his soft tone needles for my Orthophonic and saxophone horn machines.

These sellers are not in the USA, but they ship promptly, and you get your merchandise in a week or 10 days.
Best regards ... AZ*