advice on Victor XV1 Usage

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here

advice on Victor XV1 Usage

Post by Guest »

Hi Folks,

I know nothing about this Victor VV XV1 which a friend just gave me but it works perfectly and I want to keep it that way as long as possible. It's already made it 96 years (ser. # 105888 G) and I want to be careful with it. So if anyone has any tips or info on where to get tips as to proper usuage, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Two questions come to mind:

1. Is it better to use the brake after listening to a record or would it be better to lift the record off and put another on while it turns?

2. Is it OK to crank it while its turning? I'm assuming it is, but? Any cranking tips so as not to over tighten?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: advice on Victor XV1 Usage

Post by AZ* »

Use the brake. It will do no harm. I admit that I occasionally cheat and grab the record and put a new one on as the turntable spins, but they can get away from you. Why risk breaking the record?

Yes you can wind it while it is playing. It is designed that way, and you will not damage it. The Victor spring motor in your machine should be able to play multiple records when fully wound. Just wind it until you feel a little more resistance. Don't force it. You'll get the hang of it. It's like winding an old mechanical watch or clock. If the motor runs down before the record ends, then you didn't wind it enough. I find that it usually takes 20-25 revolutions of the crank to give the machine sufficient power to play a 12 inch record.

Other tips:

1. If the machine came with needles, they are probably already used and will damage the records if reused. Steel needles are designed for single play. Throw suspicious needles away and buy new ones. If the packs were factory sealed, they should be OK, but any loose ones should be tossed out.

2. If the motor makes bumping and thumping noises while it plays, that means the grease in the spring canisters is old and dry, and the springs need to be cleaned and greased.

3. If the gaskets on the soundbox (probably an Exhibition or Victrola No.2) are old and hard, they need to be replaced. (Note, the soundbox that was supplied when new was an Exhibition, but a lot can happen in 96 years.) New gaskets will dramatically improve the sound and reduce record wear. If the diaphragm is damaged it should be replaced. Parts are available so you can do the work yourself, or use one of the recommended repair shops.

4. There are some instruction manuals at the link below. They don't have one for the XVI, but many of the other ones would suffice (such as spring motor or Victrola XIV).

http://www.nipperhead.com/old/ephemera.htm

5. Since it is a mechanical device, occasional lubrication is needed. Refer to the manual and oiling diagram if present.
Best regards ... AZ*

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Roman numerals are comprised of letters that have Arabic numeral equivalents. X=10, V=5, I=1, and XVI=16. (Also L=50, C=100, M=1000, etc.). You have a Victrola XVI, not an XV1. One shouldn't mix Roman and Arabic numerals.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

JohnM wrote:Roman numerals are comprised of letters that have Arabic numeral equivalents. X=10, V=5, I=1, and XVI=16. (Also L=50, C=100, M=1000, etc.). You have a Victrola XVI, not an XV1. One shouldn't mix Roman and Arabic numerals.
Thanks for pointing that out John1000 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Brad wrote:
JohnM wrote:Roman numerals are comprised of letters that have Arabic numeral equivalents. X=10, V=5, I=1, and XVI=16. (Also L=50, C=100, M=1000, etc.). You have a Victrola XVI, not an XV1. One shouldn't mix Roman and Arabic numerals.
Thanks for pointing that out John1000 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan