New Victrola XIV owner has speed control question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
MikeB
Victor II

New Victrola XIV owner has speed control question

Post by MikeB »

Hi -

I just bought a Victor XIV in absolutely original and immaculate condition. I am having a problem with the speed control knob, though, and I suspect that something may have happened when it was recently moved. It is a late Victor in this series, and features a small glass dial control. The knob will screw and unscrew, which moves a lever up and down below (forgive my use of improper terminology here). However, this has no effect on the speed. I can adjust the speed by manually moving the speed control pointer, then holding in place with a piece of tape. If left alone, the pointer will drift to the slowest position and the turntable speed will slow as well. It looks like there is some sort of connection lacking between the control and the pointer mechanism. How can this be fixed? Thanks very much!

Mike

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: New Victrola XIV owner has speed control question

Post by OrthoSean »

Hi Mike,

It sounds like there's a lack of oil someplace in the governor area. Have you checked the oiling diagram on the motor board (underneath) and made sure everything is free and oiled? That's usually the culprit. There's a slim chance the governor is too tight in it's bearings, but I'd check for proper lubrication first.

Hope this helps,
Sean