VV 400...I'm new to this...

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Biergen
Victor Jr

VV 400...I'm new to this...

Post by Biergen »

Hello, Hello. I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any suggestions! This past weekend I attended a estate sale here in Marquette, MI and came across a working Victor Talking Machine, model VV 400. (you'll see it below) It seemed to be in pretty good condition and looked to be complete. The only things that were immediately noticeable were a splotch of paint on the top and one missing door knob. It was the last day of the sale and they were getting rid of everything half price. I paid $37.50 for the machine as well as an additional $7 for 30 records. It was a heck of a deal. So, I get it home and I read up on Victrola maintenance and restoration and decide that I should first check out, clean and lubricate the motor. However, I discover that it is missing the Motor board knob to lift it out. I don't want to wreck anything so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I should I lift the board? Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Attachments
DSCF0920.JPG
DSCF0924.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: VV 400...I'm new to this...

Post by gramophoneshane »

I usually remove the turntable & lift it by the turntable spindle, grabbing the motor board once there's enough room to do so.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Welcome to board Beirgen and welcome to your first of many, many, machines :lol:

$45 for your first machine and records is a good deal and you will learn so much from this modest investment, it will more than pay for itself on your next acquisition.

For many of the larger Victor machines that have a lift knob on the motor board, the motor board pivots to allow access to the machine. Following Shane's suggestion, first remove the platter by lifting it off the spindle. Then try grabbing the spindle and lifting while pushing down on the motor board on the side opposite the lift knob. It should pivot right up for you.

If you haven't already, invest in a copy of "The Compleat Talking Machine". This book has a wealth of information for the beginner through experience collector/restorer.

As you get into it, come back with questions and be sure to take pictures of your work and post before, during, and after shots.

Brad
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Biergen
Victor Jr

Post by Biergen »

Thanks Shane! I was able to make it happen with your suggestion. Brad, thank you for the book suggestion. That book came up during my search for info in a couple places. I will most certainly look into a copy. I'll let you know how things work out with my first Victrola.

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

As has probably been discovered by now, on this model, the motor board
does not pivot. The back edge of it sits on two small shelves. In this situation, I have used the spindle shaft AND the speed control[very carefully] to help me lift up the front edge of the motor board until I could get a suitable knob replacement. I was glad to see what the original stain job looked like on this model, because I have seen so many tinted black & white pictures, that I couldn't identify what the original looked like. I had to pay $250 about four years ago [2006] for one, and it was missing the soundbox.
Congratulations on getting one that cheaply. Mine had been refinished, and stained the same color overall, losing the contrasting front panels in the V pattern [the stain difference, not the veneer]. Thank you for showing us this one with the original finish still intact, even if damaged. :)