minor restoration

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
utvols1209
Victor Jr

minor restoration

Post by utvols1209 »

I have a victor VV XI that needs some minor repair . I bought a rebuilt motor and installed it without problem. The major problem now is when I crank the motor and place the needle on the record , the turntable spins but the record does not . That may make some of you laugh but I have no idea why that would happen . This is my first attempt at playing a record on this machine and to be honest I could probably figure this out after trial and error but I am somewhat concerned I may have done something wrong already and thought I would ask what may cause this before I continued . By the way it is a 78 record and the needle in the reproducer is old , I have new ones but again did not want to start guessing without asking first . Thanks

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Re: minor restoration

Post by Tinkerbell »

utvols1209 wrote:when I crank the motor and place the needle on the record , the turntable spins but the record does not
For the sake of clarification, do you mean that the record just stays in place with the turntable turning underneath it with the needle on the record? Or does the record start turning and then grinds to a stop? Does the record turn with the turntable when the needle is not placed on the record? :rose:

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

:!: First of all, you always have to use a new steel needle for every play, otherwise it will ruin your records. Steel needles are single use only :!:
Even if your player came with needles, they may be old and worn. The safest bet if you cannot be sure is to buy new needles, they are cheap.
Second, turn on the player without placing the reproducer (needle head) on the record. If the turntable turns then the record should now turn as well. Let it come up to the proper speed for several revolutions, then carefully place the reproducer with a new needle on the record. It should at least start playing.
If the record slows down during play then the motor probably just needs a good cleaning and greasing (which is a good idea anyway).
Hope that helps get you going.
Andreas

utvols1209
Victor Jr

Post by utvols1209 »

Yes that was a silly mistake that I knew better than to do with the needle . The turntable spins underneath the record when the reproducer is placed on the record . So the turntable spins but the record does not .

utvols1209
Victor Jr

Post by utvols1209 »

Did not really clarify what you asked sorry , haha. Record spins when reproducer is not placed on it (needle) . Does not grind, slow , or anything it just stops the record and the turntable keeps on spinning.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

I have encountered this problem when the record is "dished," that is, not flat across its surface, with a bulge which lifts the outer circumference of the record off of the platter. This results in a lack of sufficient friction to keep the record in place. I guess the problem could also be caused by turntable felt that is worn down and doesn't "grip" the record properly. Does this happen with all your records?

utvols1209
Victor Jr

Post by utvols1209 »

Well I have only tried one record on this player . The record plays fine on my other victor so I have not checked any other records .

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Did the rebuilt motor you bought come with the turntable, or did you use the old one or something?
I've only ever encounted this problem with normal 78 records that are dished as well (a couple Brunswicks), so if the record is fine, there must be something not allowing the disc to seat properly on the turntable.
I would definately try a couple other records first. If it's still happening, then my guess is the wrong turntable has been put on the motor, leaving more of the spindle taper exposed above the surface, which in turn is holding the record above the felt slightly.
If that's the case, you'd either have to find a turntable that fits properly, or try putting a second layer of felt on the turntable.
Is it an ordinary shellac 78 you're using? Some light weight or small diametre records tend to slip if there's not adequate contact between the record & felt.