VV X and XI Compatible?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
XCaptBill
Victor I

VV X and XI Compatible?

Post by XCaptBill »

Are the motors and sounbox/reproducers (Exhibition and #2) interchangeable between a VV X built in 1921 with a VV XI built in 1915?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks Bill

Zeppy
Victor III

Re: VV X and XI Compatible?

Post by Zeppy »

The Exhibition, No. 2, and No. 4 are all interchangeable. Standard equipment for the 1915 XI would have been an Exhibition, and for the 1921 X a No. 2. But people did upgrade their reproducers, so it would not be unheard of to find a 1915 XI with a No. 2...and again they are prefectly interchangeable. The motors are a different story. I don't know if you could swap the motors and still have the crank line up, but they were different motors. The 1915 XI had a motor that took a female crank, and had a round dial speed control. The 1921 X was the last version of the machine, and took a male crank and used a speed control that had the screw with the speed indicator (those are just the most obvious differences). Again, I have no idea if they could "fit" in other machine, but it certainly is not the same motor (motors from Xs and IXs from the teens "fit" in a VTLA, and the crank lines up, but it certainly is not the correct motor for the machine).

Post by Guest »

Zeppy,

Thanks for the reply. So, is the #2 a better reproducer than the Exhibition? I'm asking this because I have a chance to buy a VV X made in 1921, with the #2. The cabinet is in bad shape and I considered buying it for the reproducer and the motor as a backup for my XI. If the motor is questionable, it makes the whole thing less valuable to me. The compatibility of these parts will determine what I'm willing to pay. I guess I could always sell the motor, but Im not sure what condition it is in. When I looked at the machine, the motor was completely wound tight and would not crank. I turned it on and let it unwind. After it unwound, I was able to crank it again and it seemed very smooth.

Bill

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

The cranks nearly line up, but not quite :)
There is about a 1 inch difference between the two, with the crank of the older motor being closer to the front of the cabinet.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

The 1915 XI will have the original-size taper tube, but I think that the 1921 X will have the "fat" taper tube; I'm not sure whether the goose necks are the same diameter on these two machines, so the Exhibition and no. 2 might not be interchangeable between machines without some kind of adapter.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

The Exhibition, no.2 and no.4 are all completely interchangeable without any sort of adaptor, as are 90% of other off-brand soundboxes that use a bayonet fitting. The bore diametre of the Exhibition was pretty much the standard size around the world, from before WWI until the orthophonic period.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Thanks for that info, g'shane. You did say that already; guess I wasn't paying attention. Now all are invited to send me their spare no. 2s (perfectly rebuilt, of course!) so I can prove it for myself on my XI. ;)

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Guest wrote:Zeppy,

Thanks for the reply. So, is the #2 a better reproducer than the Exhibition? I'm asking this because I have a chance to buy a VV X made in 1921, with the #2. The cabinet is in bad shape and I considered buying it for the reproducer and the motor as a backup for my XI. If the motor is questionable, it makes the whole thing less valuable to me. The compatibility of these parts will determine what I'm willing to pay. I guess I could always sell the motor, but Im not sure what condition it is in. When I looked at the machine, the motor was completely wound tight and would not crank. I turned it on and let it unwind. After it unwound, I was able to crank it again and it seemed very smooth.

Bill
The #2 was considered an improvement. It has a larger diaphragm. On all my machines, except my VV-50, I have an Exhibition, just because that is what was original to the machine (my interest pretty much resides in the pre-1913 period). That's not to say I don't own several #2 reproducers. I also have a couple Improved Concerts and #4s, and on occassion I do swap out to see if I can hear a difference. But the question is how much is being asked for the VV X. You can still pick up a nickel plated #2 for around $25 on occassion. And the motor for the X isn't a match to your XI, so is it worth your time to try to sell it.

XCaptBill
Victor I

Post by XCaptBill »

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to pass on this machine. Doesn't sound like it's worth messing with.