polishing my phonos

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

polishing my phonos

Post by Edisonfan »

Hey Guys, I have a lot of wood fruniture pieces, besides my phonogrpahs. I was wandering what would be best to use on them. My record cabinet that my Victrola is sitting on the venner is puckering. Also it's very dry in my condo, and I have not protected the wood. My father suggested a wood polish with oil in it? I also read about useing a paste wax as well? Please help?

Paul

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: polishing my phonos

Post by MordEth »

Paul,

I tend to favor Old English Lemon Oil for furniture, but perhaps other people have better suggestions for on your phonographs.

I haven’t had to deal with puckering veneer, but I would guess that you would want to re-glue it (and make sure you get a second opinion on it before following my suggestions).

I definitely think we have some very talented members when it comes to restoring the finish on wood.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank you David.

Paul

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Also—on the veneer, you might photograph and post it; in my experience, most of the time being able to see the problem results in better advice.

I think that John had some directions on fixing veneer somewhere that I had read...

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Yea, I'll do just that. I thought I remember seeing that thread somewhere? I thinks, it's becuse it's so dry in my house.

paul

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Paul,

Either should be fine. I recall reading somewhere, (I think it was in the furniture doctor), that oils and liquid wax would attrack more dirt faster than a harder paste wax. Makes sense.

I have used both and are pleased with both. I'll have to wait another 80 years to prove or disprove the oil attracts more dirt faster theory.

Brad
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Paul,

The oiling surely can be helpful but another thing you may want to to do is get a good quality humidity gauge, if you don't have one and see just how dry your condo really is. If it's below about 35%,(and it probably is) purchase a humidifier with a sensor and set it at between 35-45%. That would be ideal. If you are in a very cold climate you may have to set it somewhat lower and live with it. The humidifier should have instructions on recommended settings in your region too. This should help prevent warping or keep current warping from getting worse.

I've notices in some of the
the museums, especially musical instrument museums you will often see a small humidifer running next to some valuable instrument for that reason.

Cheers,
bruce

Cheers, Bruce

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Thanks for the information guys.

Paul