My VV-215 Motor spring needs cleaning. Where to start?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
GAJoe
Victor Jr

My VV-215 Motor spring needs cleaning. Where to start?

Post by GAJoe »

My motor is this one:

(Found this image on the Internet; mine is loaded with hard grease)

I got the "The Complete Talking Machine" but didn't find how to take this motor apart for cleaning. Can anyone help point me to some instructions. (Pic's would be helpful.)

Thanks,
Joe

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: My VV-215 Motor spring needs cleaning. Where to start?

Post by AZ* »

Check out this link:

http://repairvictrola.tripod.com/vvxiadisassembly.htm

Please note that your springs are of the "bent end" variety, but the ones shown on this web page are of the earlier "pear hole" variety. The springs on your machine are easier to deal with. The other aspects of the motor are about the same.

HTH
Best regards ... AZ*

GAJoe
Victor Jr

Post by GAJoe »

VV-IX,
Thanks! Just what the doctor ordered.
Joe

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Glad to help. Some more tips, some of which I believe may be covered in the Reiss book.

1. Always let the motor wind down completely before you begin.

2. It helps to use a vise or B&D Workmate to hold the spring barrel when you are wrestling with the springs. Just don't tighten the vise or Workmate so tight as to distort the barrel.

3. If you remove the motor from the motor board, you will need to remove the speed indicator needle arm which is accomplished by removing a small hex nut. Upon reassembly, it can be a challenge to get it to point at 78. Using a jeweler's screwdriver to hold the vertical rod which has a small slot on the top, you can move the needle arm and retighten the nut.

4. The L shaped rod that connects to the governor assembly and is manipulated by the speed control can be adjusted using the screws at the end near the motor frame (seen in the picture you posted).

5. There should be rubber washers between the motor and the bottom side of the motor board. They may be reusable, damaged or missing if a previous owner threw them away. Using washers that are too thick will cause the turntable to sit too low, and it may strike the brake assembly.

6. If you completely disassemble the motor, be advised that there should be a single ball bearing at the bottom of the turntable spindle (it fits into the hole in the motor frame). If this is missing, it can cause problems.

7. While messing with the motor, don't be tempted to see how fast it will go by pushing the speed control to its maximum. This may cause the governor springs to break. (Voice of experience here -- been there, done that :oops:)

These motors are well made and fairly simple to work on once you get the hang of it.
Best regards ... AZ*

GAJoe
Victor Jr

Post by GAJoe »

Great info'.
Thanks for taking the extra time for the detailed reply,
Joe