Exhibition adjustment

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Karrion
Victor Jr

Exhibition adjustment

Post by Karrion »

I finished my Victor V rebuild today played a few records on it. Everything is fine but one thing. At the top end of the frequency the sound goes bad. I'm assuming I have the reproducer mis-adjusted. It's an Exhibition. Are there instructions online anywhere? My book STILL hasn't arrived.

P.S. I did a forum search before I posted and didn't find anything if it's here somewhere.

Karrion

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Exhibition adjustment

Post by OrthoSean »

Karrion,

Good details about adjusting your Exhibition are here:

http://www.nipperhead.com/old/reproducers.htm

My guess is your pivots need adjusting properly, if they're too loose or too tight, you will get a rattle (most likey too loose) and this is directly related to the needle bar and mica, they all need to be just right.

Hope this helps!
Sean

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I have a copy of the 1913 Victor instructions on how to repair the Exhibition. I'd post them, but I have no idea how a scan (I suppose I could email them if you send me a message with your email address).

A few interesting things in there that I never knew about, like they suggest that you glue the first gasket in the housing with a ring of shellac....and of couse the little paper washer for the attaching the needle arm to the the diaphragm, which I have seen on occassion.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Scroll down about ⅓ page and there are great photos and step by step directions for both rebuilding and adjusting your Exhibition reproducer. :rose:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Karrion
Victor Jr

Post by Karrion »

Thanks! You guys are the best.