Quick fix for broken brass pinion gears

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
phonographist
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Phono What? Phono Yeah!

Quick fix for broken brass pinion gears

Post by phonographist »

I purchased a machine with a broken brass pinion gear that slid up and down the shaft. I thought it would be easier to replace than it was. Unfortunately I was having a much tougher time finding it. The gear was similar to that in a hobby RC car or helicopter so I went to the nearest hobby store just to see. The owner laughed at me, but gave me a suggestion. Try green loctite (penetrating kind) on the shaft where the gear is held. Within 10 seconds it had bonded the gear was closed and stationary on the shaft. I know its not the proper thing to do but the machine runs now without problem. So just a suggestion if your having trouble finding a brass pinion gear. The loctite sets fast so make sure you close the gear over top the shaft with a couple shims and vice grips very quickly.

Henry
Victor V

Re: Quick fix for broken brass pinion gears

Post by Henry »

Shame on that hobby store owner for laughing! As a model railroader since my teens, I have long recommended the hobby shop (railroad oriented is best, I find) for small parts, hard-to-locate machine screws, brass shapes, miniature tools, and specialty lubricants (LaBelle brand), etc., etc., both for the phonograph hobby as well as cameras (Graflex in particular). If you happen to be fortunate enough to live near a well-stocked hobby shop, be grateful and patronize it with your custom!