No.2 reproducer question (im new)

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
getmeoutofiraq

No.2 reproducer question (im new)

Post by getmeoutofiraq »

just got a vv-xiv and its got a no.2 on it. bought a gasket set and a spring set off ebay to freshen up my reproducer. the question i have is i need to know if the bar on the no.2 going from the center of the diaphragm clear part to the needle chuck is supposed to be connected to the chuck or free standing, soldered or what? I cant seem to find any close up pics to see and answer my question. i know the other end of the bar has a small screw holding it to the clear thing but I need to find out about the other side. please, any help is appreciated.

picture

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: No.2 reproducer question (im new)

Post by Jerry B. »

The needle bar (long thing than runs to the center of the clear diaphragm) is connected to the diaphragm with a small screw on the back side. The little screw is probably hidden with a bit of wax. You can heat the was to remove it and you see how to separate the needle bar from the diaphragm. I hope you enjoy your Victrola. Remember, change your needle to a new one after every two record sides or so. Jerry Blais

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

While this reproducer rebuild is on an Exhibition and not a No. 2, you may find the pictures useful (they were enormously useful to me).

You'll want to scroll about ⅓ of the way down the page to where the instructions and photos begin.

Good luck!

Tink :rose:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I thought I'd reproduce your photo directly to the board, as it seems some people may have missed it.

I've always thought the Victor No.2 was identical to the HMV no.2, but from your photo, they seem to be a little different. I've included a couple pics of the HMV version below yours.
Im guessing yours needs to have the needle bar soldered to the chuck & pivot assembly.
Attachments
Guests Victor No.2
Guests Victor No.2
hmv no2 003.JPG
hmv no2 006.JPG
hmv no2 006.JPG (77.95 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

getmeoutofiraq

Post by getmeoutofiraq »

i soldered it up and it sounds a ton better but im still going to put new gaskets and new springs on it cuz i i dont think my metal bracket replaca it doing me justice, but sounds way better then before. thanks everyone for the help.