Help with an Edison Standard

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Flvice
Victor O

Help with an Edison Standard

Post by Flvice »

I need some help with an Edison Standard that I recently purchased. I believe that it is a model B which has the end gate. Its my first Edison with an end gate so I'm a little unfamiliar with its construction.

My problem is that the Mandrel is wobbly and sags down. I have to lift it to close the endgate. When I do, then the machine runs. It runs well, but it runs a bit too fast. I've adjusted the speed control to its slowest possible setting and it still runs fast. I timed the carrige between the two points that are marked on the carrige rod and it runs it in about 50 seconds.

I believe that it is missing some type of metal sleeve (Maybe brass) where the mandrel meets the gears. (See Pics) I have nothing to compare it to, so it is only a guess.

Perhaps someone here knows for sure and can help me find the problem. I want to get the motor working perfectly before I start the bed plate and cabinet restoration. It is my first and I have gained a lot of knowledge from here.

Thanks,

Edward
Attachments
DSC04157.JPG
DSC04157.JPG (55.52 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
DSC04158.JPG
DSC04158.JPG (141.8 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

martinola
Victor III

Re: Help with an Edison Standard

Post by martinola »

Hello Edward.

As you suspected, your Standard Model B is missing some parts. Originally, your machine was a two minute machine and would need a mandrel gear, end bearing and grub screw. I've uploaded a picture below of the 2 minute set-up on my Model A. Since you have a Diamond B reproducer for the 4 minute Blue Amberols, you will probably want to go the extra distance to get the 2&4 minute adapter gears for the Model B. Below is a picture of my Model B's 2&4 minute set-up. You'll find them on ebay frequently as well as parts suppliers like George Vollema. Hope this helps!

Martin
Attachments
2&4 Minute adapter gears on a Model B.
2&4 Minute adapter gears on a Model B.
2_4_min_gears.jpg (167.15 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
2 Minute gear and mandrel bearing detail.
2 Minute gear and mandrel bearing detail.
2_min_bearing_gear.jpg (181.86 KiB) Viewed 2873 times

Flvice
Victor O

Post by Flvice »

Martin,

Thanks for the reply. I do have the 2/4 Minute gearing for the Standard. I did learn from the pictures that you posted that I had the gearing mechanism to far in, and it would not adjust. That is fixed now but the player still runs too fast.

I need to know if the Mandrel on this type of player (With the Gate) droops down when the gate is not closed. Will the mandrel turn without the gate being closed? Mine does not.

It seems to me that the hole where the mandrel goes in is too large allowing too much play. I'm thinking that something is missing from that hole (like a sleeve or bearing) that holds the mandrel shaft in place and also causes some friction that will slow down the player.

I have circled and put an arrow to the part in question.

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Edward
Attachments
DSC04161.JPG
DSC04161.JPG (41.37 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
DSC04160.JPG
DSC04160.JPG (44.78 KiB) Viewed 2869 times

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hi Edward.
Sorry about that. (The pictures without the parts in place threw me.) It is perfectly normal on these models for the mandrel to sag slightly when the gate is open. (The mandrel will not turn in this position.) It is also normal to have the larger hole in the stanchion between the mandrel and gear. As for the speed issue, I think it's likely governor-related. With the speed control nut put back into the mid-way position, you may need to slightly move the governor in relation to the yoke. (Do this only with the motor run-down.) After that you can use the speed control nut to fine-tune the speed. It may take some fiddling, so be patient; you'll get it. Good luck!
Martin

Flvice
Victor O

Post by Flvice »

Martin,

Thanks for the tips and advice. All is pretty well adjusted in the speed control department, and the speed control knob can now adjust faster or slower if needed.

As you indicated it was a governor issue, once the 2/4 minute gearing issue was fixed. The rod in which the governor was mounted (circled) was too far left for the speed control felt pads to have any effect. Two screws (Arrows) allowed for the entire rod to be pushed to the right and then be retightened to set it into the right position. A little more tweeking and the speed regulates well.

Thanks for your help.

Now the Diamond B reproducer is not playing well. Kinda has an echo and its very soft. Anyone knows a good source to rebuild this repoducer. I've tackled a "C" and an "H" and I took this one apart... all seems okay but I rather send it to someone with experience.

Thanks again,
Edward
Attachments
DSC04162.JPG
DSC04162.JPG (55.52 KiB) Viewed 2835 times

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hi Edward.

I'm glad to hear that it's coming along. There are several good folks out there that do this. Here are a few links:

http://www.victroladoctor.com/

http://www.antiquephono.com/

http://www.wyattsmusical.com/

Good luck with the restoration!

Martin

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Before you rebuild the reproducer try loosening the big screw on the top side of the reproducer. The weight with stylus needs to move up and down as well as side to side. That screw controls the side to side movement. If it is too tight, the reproducer with echo.

Flvice
Victor O

Post by Flvice »

Jerry B. wrote:Before you rebuild the reproducer try loosening the big screw on the top side of the reproducer. The weight with stylus needs to move up and down as well as side to side. That screw controls the side to side movement. If it is too tight, the reproducer with echo.
Jerry,

Thank you very much!!!! That did the trick! The screw on top of the Diamond B reproducer was so tight. My small screw drivers could not budge the screw, even with a soak overnight with penatrating oil. I finally found a large screwdriver that fit and gave me enough torque without damaging the screw head.

What a difference that made. No rebuild necessary. Listening to "Red Wing" as I'm testing it and writing this. Nice tune. :)

Regards,

Edward

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I'm glad that worked for you. Jerry B.

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

One other tip: The two rings cut in the rod behind the reproducer---at the proper 160 rpm speed, in 2-minute setting, the reproducer arm should make that trip in exactly one minute. That's how Edison simplified proper governor setting. :) Bob Ault