speed indicator screw removal

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
novkev24
Victor I

speed indicator screw removal

Post by novkev24 »

Hi All,

I'm trying to remove the small screw that holds the speed indicator needle in place on my VV-XIV. It appears that the screw is rusted. I tried applying WD-40. The screw moved a little bit. I'm to the point where the screw head is breaking. Any suggestions on how to remove this screw (hopefully without destroying it)?

Thanks,
Kevin
The purchase of a Genuine Victrola closes the Avenue of Future Regret.

- ANNOUNCEMENT The Victrola Shortage Today (New Castle News, Friday, December, 20, 1918)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: speed indicator screw removal

Post by gramophoneshane »

I guess the Victor must be different from the HMV, but the HMV actually has a small nut around that screw that you remove. The screw doesn't come out if I remember correctly, but is for making adjustments so the indicator matches the speed.

novkev24
Victor I

Post by novkev24 »

I think you are right about the speed regulator functionality of the screw. This was mentioned on the metal plate that goes over the screw. The screw goes into a shaft under the motor board that has a spring attached to it. The spring is attached to a small metal arm with a piece of rubber on the end. This rubber piece presses against the governor. I didn't see a nut on the piece under the motor board, but as you mentioned, this machine is not an HMV.

- ANNOUNCEMENT The Victrola Shortage Today (New Castle News, Friday, December, 20, 1918)

novkev24
Victor I

Post by novkev24 »

Sorry I didn't search the forum first before posting. The following thread mentions a hex nut needs to be removed in order to remove the speed indicator.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... +indicator

I guess the next step is to locate the hex nut. Can anyone point out where I might locate this nut?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

On the HMV, it's right here, holding the indicator pointer down. There is also a washer with a lip between the indicator and nut (on the HMV).
If you remove the nut & washer, the pointer should lift off the shaft.
Yours really should be the same because for the most part, HMV and Victor copied each others designs.
Attachments
photobgu.jpg

novkev24
Victor I

Post by novkev24 »

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Perhaps this perspective of the speed indicator will give you a better view of what you are looking at/for. :rose:
Attachments
speed indicator.jpg

novkev24
Victor I

Post by novkev24 »

Sweet, Thanks! I've been working that screw pretty hard. I hope I didn't break something within the screw mechanism. :cry:

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

novkev24 wrote:Sweet, Thanks! I've been working that screw pretty hard. I hope I didn't break something within the screw mechanism. :cry:
At worst, you may possibly have only stripped the head on the screw. Even if you did "break something," speed indicators appear fairly regularly on Ebay... in fact, there are three listed right now. (I believe this particular part is pretty plentiful in terms of locating replacements if for some reason yours requires it.) :rose: