Question about cabinet refinishing

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
bofusmosby
Victor Jr

Re: Question about cabinet refinishing

Post by bofusmosby »

Oops, I posted a reply earlier, but I forgot to log in. Well, I appreciate the info guys. I had mentioned that I needed a needle for my Edison DD, and I believe that I must have confused you a bit. I am looking for a source for the needle, bar included. I just didn't want to have to get the entire reproducer rebuilt, just for the needle. Of course with my finances being what they are right now, I may have to wait of the needle as well.

I am in the process of restoring a '37 Pontiac, along with restoring a Historical 2-story house. I doubt I will ever finish those projects, but I hope that at least I will get this cabinet completed in time. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to restoration. This is a bad thing because I do something, decide it isn't good enough, and then do it again. THEN I study the project and determine that it has to be re-done again! Oh well, thats the story of my life.

The good thing about shellac is that it can be redone if the finished product is not good enough. :lol: Again, the story of my life. :roll: I appreciate your support, and its good to have a place I can run to if I have any question. And believe me, I'll have a ton of questions.

Jim

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

bofusmosby wrote:I had mentioned that I needed a needle for my Edison DD, and I believe that I must have confused you a bit. I am looking for a source for the needle, bar included.

Jim
Sorry Jim, I guess I did. Shortly before posting I noticed you'd already asked about a replacement stylus on the Edison board where you were told about a couple places to buy them, so I guess I thought you were looking for a cheaper alternative.

bofusmosby
Victor Jr

Post by bofusmosby »

gramophoneshane wrote:
Sorry Jim, I guess I did. Shortly before posting I noticed you'd already asked about a replacement stylus on the Edison board where you were told about a couple places to buy them, so I guess I thought you were looking for a cheaper alternative.
Well, truth be known, I figured that maybe someone here might know of a different source. The price I have seen is (or heard about) is about $125. Geez, that is expensive. It would be great if someone had a good used one for sale cheaper. I took a look at the Ebay listings, and the reproducers (with needle) are for the most part "untested". It would be crazy to buy another reproducer with a bad needle. The ones that hve been tested are going for a lot more money. I guess that if they have a good needle, they can get more for them. Thats understandable. I suupse I'll just have to waite for that "great (cheap) deal" to come along.

I like that Edison site, but its seems so slow. It is also causing my computer to lock-up. It may be a problem at my end though.

Jim

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Yeah, they are kind of expensive to buy new. I guess the good new is that, unlike modern turntable stylus, one of these should last lifetime, provided you dont play records with gouges and cracks, or drop it down heavily on the record etc, so it should be a once only purchase.
They're all made by a place in England called Expert Stylus, so I suppose you also have to take into account any import/custom duties etc that suppliers have to pay, plus they have to put some sort of mark up on them, to make it worth their while (although I doubt the mark up is very much at all).
Expert used to have a website & you could buy directly from them, but it's been gone for quite some time. Still, from what I remember they weren't much cheaper once you took the exchange rate into account, and I've found UK postage is one the most expensive I've come across, so it could very well end up costing more to have a single item sent.

APSCO have them listed at $125, but generally speaking, I've found they charge more for their parts than most other parts dealers, so as with most other things, it can pay to shop around.
Did you end up contacting George Vollema at Great Lakes Antique Phonos?
I've only delt with him once, but found him to be extremely helpful, & IMO his prices were more than reasonable. What I bought was far cheaper than what the same item gets on ebay, so I was very happy. He seems to be the type of guy who's in it for the love of phonographs, rather than the love of money, so I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal unless it turns up cheap in the wild, or take a chance with an untested ebay reproducer & you get lucky.
I'm sure George would have new styli, but he may also have a good "tested" reproducer, or sell a good stylus.
Another alternative might be to place a wanted ad in the yankee trader section here on the forum, and see what turns up. Sometimes you'll find collectors who have picked something up cheap, & are willing to pass things on cheaply, just for the sheer satisfaction of knowing they've helped get another machine up & running, or to encouraged a new collector to get into the hobby.

bofusmosby
Victor Jr

Post by bofusmosby »

Thank you very much for the info you gave me. I'm going to check him (George)out tonight when I get home from work. I'll let you know what he says. Also, putting a "wanted" post in the Yankee trader section is a good idea. However, I think that should waite untill I have some funds saved up. I wouldn't want to upset someone if they offer me a great deal and I am not able to jump on it then.

Due to the Holidays coming up, all of this might have to waite until after the first of the year. At least I know that the rest of the phono is in working order, so there will be no harm on doing the cabinet refinishing first.

Jim