Acetone To Clean DD's

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
XCaptBill
Victor I

Acetone To Clean DD's

Post by XCaptBill »

Has anyone tried using Acetone for cleaning DD's? I know that most recommend Isopropyl Alcohol but I don't have any. I have a can of Acetone. I have also seen some recommend trying finger nail polish remover and actually Acetone is the solvent component in nail polish remover. Thoughts?

Bill

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Acetone To Clean DD's

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I've never heard of using acetone! I suspect it might harshly affect the condensite surface. IMO I'd recommend waiting til you can get your hands on some isopropyl alcohol. Hope this helps.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

hillndalefan
Victor I

Re: Acetone To Clean DD's

Post by hillndalefan »

The surfaces of the Edison Diamond Disc were made of a Condensite [or Bakelite]varnish [the two varieties of polymers were very similar], attached to a more porous base. The Edison company always said to use alcohol on the Diamond Disc, and I've always used rubbing alcohol with good results. Whatever you do, however, NEVER use alcohol on any other 78---you'll melt the disc!!
I always wipe the disc down with the alcohol, then follow up immediately with a dry cloth. With other types of disc records, soap and water can be used, but they will destroy an Edison Diamond Disc! :geek: