Victor Victrola Speed Control Arm

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Victor Victrola Speed Control Arm

Post by JerryVan »

Sherazhyder wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:41 pm
JerryVan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:04 pm
You are certainly right but I think that the speed indicator mechanism was once there as the motor chassis has holes for its screw. The motor board (see the picture attached) has also cut out for the speed indicator.

Thanks and please advise further at your convenience.
Best regards
Sheraz
There is no picture of the motor board above. I believe the motor frames were all machined for the speed indicator, whether they were equipped with them or not. However, since you say the motor board has the cutout for the indicator, then I suppose yours truly is missing.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

As promised... some photos of an example of mine... the photos I think are eloquent enough. In case you have any questions, please ask. These parts really I don't need, so they are for sale to you in case you'd need them. But I'm afraid that shipping from Spain could be tremendously expensive, especially when compared to the cost of the parts.
Anyway, it seems better if you can copy them yourself, in case you have a friend nearby with a workshop and tools... I can send measurements and sketches of them to make. Of course the long L arm that comes out of the motor is different for each machine model, but it is as simple as only needing to reach from the set screw joint to the speed regulator screw, wherever it is in your machine.
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

I add a video so you see how it is when properly engaged.
Inigo

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

My friend Inigo
It is a pleasure to have your guidance in repairing the Victrola machine which a friend has gifted me.
Thank you very much for sparing your time and energy for providing me pictorial, step wise guidance. It is of great help. Once I have the parts , I will install them as advised.

Here comes the picture of the motor board which I forgot to attach last time.

If I correctly understand the arm is a link to the speed adjustment screw on motor board and speed regulator is for monitoring the speed via the pointer. Is this a correct understanding?

Thanks again.
Best regards
Sheraz
Attachments
CB66D29B-86DD-4580-9E38-EB85A9684D26.jpeg

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

There is no picture of the motor board above. I believe the motor frames were all machined for the speed indicator, whether they were equipped with them or not. However, since you say the motor board has the cutout for the indicator, then I suppose yours truly is missing.
[/quote]

Hello , thanks for your assistance. I just uploaded the picture. 🌹

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

I believe your machine must have the speed indicator too. They added the celluloid scale for the speed, this is likely that it HAD a speed indicator. It's an independent set that can be completely detached from the machine without affecting its work, so likely someone disassembled it in the past, and it got lost.
I also have a spare complete set speed indicator of you need it, although shipping costs from Spain could be expensive... These parts come from a spare motor I acquired many years ago, and I don't need it indeed. I bought it as a spare for my HMV194, and I used it some time, but finally I repaired the original motor and this one (from a Victrola) stayed as a source for spare parts (I've used only the springs and the governor). The governor I'm not using it anymore, and will be returned to this motor. I was then in search of a motor only, but I bought it complete with the motorboard and turntable for cheap.
Inigo

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hi Inigo !
Thanks for your note. Great to know you that you have got spares which i need for my machine. Please check your email, I sent you a note this morning.

Regards
Sheraz

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Hi, guy! Just saw in eBay what you need, three incomplete motors with their governors, speed control arms, even the speed indicator on them... This could make you a great service. They are motors no32 (two springs) but these parts are interchangeable with yours (no34, four springs).
Watch this
https://www.ebay.es/itm/134334557164?mk ... media=COPY
Inigo

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hello Inigo ! Thanks for finding out the advert and sharing it with me. These are heavy machines and will involve transportation more than the cost of goods. One solution is to ask some friend in Europe to buy these for me and bring these back here but and it will be quite inconvenient for anyone to carry them. The other option is to ask a friend abroad to buy them and then retrieve the parts I need. Incidentally none of my friends will be able to safely dismantle the governor and other stuff. So my best option is buying the stuff lying with you.

Cheers
Sheraz

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hi friends !

Will you please suggest which type of Victrola tonearm and reproducer should I buy for this machine?. Please also suggest the appropriate Victrola plate indicating the model number for this machine. The pictures of the motor board and motor are here so you could suggest.

Please note that I intend to order a XVI or XVII type cabinet for this motor. Is this a correct decision?

Thanks and regards
Sheraz
Attachments
0F33E6A7-D2D4-4D3E-BFE5-EDC8B3143CBF.jpeg