Enamel paint? Touching up Edison bedplates etc.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
USlakeside
Victor III

Enamel paint? Touching up Edison bedplates etc.

Post by USlakeside »

As you may have noticed, I need to have my Edison brazed together on the carriage, which is going to result in at least some paint loss. Instead of repainting the whole piece, I would rather retouch the area that is affected by the brazing. Is there a good hobby enamel that someone can recommend? Something I can apply with a fine brush, not spraying. (I am a fine artist, so I can handle a brush fine)

Henry
Victor V

Re: Enamel paint? Touching up Edison bedplates etc.

Post by Henry »

For many years the standard model railroad paint was the Floquil line, a solvent-based product that dries dead flat; it has been available in many different colors to match those of the historical prototypes, as well as various earth tones for scenery, etc. They also introduced a water-soluble line called "Polly S," with many of the same colors as the Floquil line. Another good line is called Scalecoat. Then of course there's the tried and true Testor's line, which is available in gloss colors. A good model rr hobby shop, if you're fortunate enough to still have one in your area, is worth a visit and/or at least a phone call for inquiry. (In Brooklyn, there's a big shop on MacDonald Ave., IIRC.)

scullylathe
Victor I

Post by scullylathe »

You can buy liquid asphaltum which was the original material used to coat Edison bedplates at http://www.dickblick.com/products/asphaltum-liquid/

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

For touching up black castings, my vote is for Nigrosine (available at APSCO). Just mix up some of the powder with a little shellac and then brush it on. Sand and then overcoat with Amber shellac. Good luck!

-Martin