VV 2-55 spring barrel rivets

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
novkev24
Victor I

VV 2-55 spring barrel rivets

Post by novkev24 »

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Victrola VV 2-55 from eBay. I'm going through the process of cleaning up the motor. I noticed that the spring barrel is riveted shut. I would like to repack the spring with new grease, but the rivets present an issue.

I was considering trying to drill out of the rivets to gain access to the spring and then put new rivets in it's place after applying new grease. The thing is, the motor seems to play fairly quite and smooth, so I wonder if this would be more trouble than it's worth.

I was also thinking I might be able to put some 3 in 1 oil in the spring barrel opening to help re-lubricate the existing grease in the barrel. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

The purchase of a Genuine Victrola closes the Avenue of Future Regret.

- ANNOUNCEMENT The Victrola Shortage Today (New Castle News, Friday, December, 20, 1918)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: VV 2-55 spring barrel rivets

Post by gramophoneshane »

Wow...is that normal, or has someone lost the screws or stripped the thread & decided to use rivots?
Personally, I'd remove the rivots, tap new threads & screw it together. Eventually you'll have to replace the grease, or maybe even the spring, so I think it's a good idea to be able to get into the barrel anytime anywhere 8-)

novkev24
Victor I

Post by novkev24 »

I see your point about needing to get to the spring at a later date. I did some research and I think the rivets are original to the machine. I'm wondering if I was to replace the rivets with screws, would that affect the value of the machine? :roll:

- ANNOUNCEMENT The Victrola Shortage Today (New Castle News, Friday, December, 20, 1918)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I wouldn't bother with the rivets as long as the motor runs smoothly. By the way, 3-in-1 oil is junk. Use a good quality oil. A lightweight motor oil would be fine. 5W-20 for example.

novkev24
Victor I

Post by novkev24 »

I actually ended up drilling out the rivets and replacing them with small screws and nuts. I think it came out ok. Thanks for the oil advice.
Photo Feb 01, 7 10 45 AM.jpg
Attachments
Photo Feb 01, 7 10 58 AM.jpg

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

JerryVan wrote:I wouldn't bother with the rivets as long as the motor runs smoothly. By the way, 3-in-1 oil is junk. Use a good quality oil. A lightweight motor oil would be fine. 5W-20 for example.
I agree about the 3-in-1. Years ago I purchased a quart of straight, non-detergent 10-weight motor oil (Quaker State, in a can!). I still have that can of oil, and I use it to replenish my small household oil cans. Bet you can't find straight weight non-detergent motor oil at Pep Boys today! And if you could, it won't be in a metal can.

You did a nice, neat job there, novkev24!

novkev24
Victor I

Post by novkev24 »

Henry,

Thanks for the compliment. The thing I liked about the 3-1 oil was the container. It has a nice extending straw-like dispenser to get into tight spaces. I would like to re-grease my machines with the correct oil, but I am unable to find an appropriate container/dispenser to put the oil in. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Kevin,

As for oil cans, Sears sells (or used to) empty ones. I've tried two different ones: a squeeze-handle job, which I don't recommend as it leaks around the top of the handle, and a simple old-fashioned-looking oil can with a longish spout, maybe 4"-5" long total, which dispenses oil when you press on the bottom, giving that distinctive "click-cluck" sound. The spout unscrews from the reservoir bottom for ease in filling. I recommend the latter type. I hope they are still available. Either the hardware section of a Sears, or a Sears Hardware store, are the places to look. I'm sure they have both in your area. (OTOH, I was astonished a couple of years ago on a trip to my home town of Augusta GA to find that there were NO (nada, zero, zilcho) independently owned local hardware stores ANYWHERE in Richmond County! I'll bet that we have a good two dozen here in Lehigh County, PA.)

I gotta confess that I do have 3-in-1 oil in the workshop, and I agree about the can: mighty convenient. Mmm, wonder if you could drain the oil out and refill the can with good stuff? Might be more trouble than it's worth. I'll have to go look and see whether this would be practical.

Henry