Need advice on RAE-84 motor

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Need advice on RAE-84 motor

Post by gramophone-georg »

I was lucky enough to pick up part of a scrap changer on eBay. Got it today. I think the trip wheel and pawl will solve my wow and turntable bobbing issues. There's also a motor on it that is marked on the tag as 60 cycle. I need to get a mirror and light in my cabinet to see if I have the same metal tag.

Found the tag- had do maneuver the phone and a light in there to photo and see it. Bingo- 50 cycle motor. Damn. Guess I'll get the correct replacement capacitor for the 60 cycle motor. What's the best way to test this beast? VOM then Variac, or should it be reliable? Thanks!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

I'd say that just as long as the shaft bearings which could be babbit are well lubricated and the motor shaft and turntable drive spindle are turning free and there are no bad odors coming from the field windings indicating that they were previously damaged, then it ought to come up to speed without difficulty. Take the mechanism apart and relubricate everything. Just as you would for a spring driven motor.
I've seen a lot of vintage motor capacitors in my time and only one that failed. It exploded and sent paper refuse and a odd smelling dielectric everywhere. But almost no burned out or shorted field windings.
That said, if you know the operating value of your old AC cap I'd replace it - just out of an element of caution. You will probably have to fabricate a suitable mount for it.

Good Luck With it !

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

pallophotophone wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:51 pm I'd say that just as long as the shaft bearings which could be babbit are well lubricated and the motor shaft and turntable drive spindle are turning free and there are no bad odors coming from the field windings indicating that they were previously damaged, then it ought to come up to speed without difficulty. Take the mechanism apart and relubricate everything. Just as you would for a spring driven motor.
I've seen a lot of vintage motor capacitors in my time and only one that failed. It exploded and sent paper refuse and a odd smelling dielectric everywhere. But almost no burned out or shorted field windings.
That said, if you know the operating value of your old AC cap I'd replace it - just out of an element of caution. You will probably have to fabricate a suitable mount for it.

Good Luck With it !
Thanks!
Yeah, things are stiff from old grease and the wiring is horrible, but no smells or burn marks anyplace. I will rewire up to the windings and use shrink tube to secure there after soldering and sonic clean bushings, shafts, etc. but will only use DeOxIt on the windings.

The red book says a 1.25 mfd capacitor was used on these so I found this 1.25 uF ceiling fan motor capacitor I thought I'd use.
https://www.amazon.com/CEILING-CAPACITO ... B01D8IEAVA
Am I on the right track?
Thanks again!

pallophotophone
Victor II

I'd say you're spot on.
Don't let the capacitor come in contact with the motor frame as it does get warm. But be careful using deoxit around those old field windings- I don't know how it would affect that old varnish insulation. A very gentle, soft brushing would probably be safe but if it's fairly clean already I'd leave it alone.

BH

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

Good thought on the old insulation. I'm thinking I'll maybe even just give it a puff of compressed air in there.

I am very well versed in DIN automotive wiring and electrics. Some of that translates, but a lot does not. In this as in so many things, it comes down to experience and know how gained from that, and I am not ashamed to admit I am totally lacking that here so the help is greatly appreciated.

I am just excited to have a solid diagnosis/ solution here. Been looking forward to getting this machine for some time.

pallophotophone
Victor II

I'd use a can of compressed air of the type used in photographic lens cleaning because it's very gentle and you know it's clean. I've always been a little leary of air compressors due to the air might have some oil or moisture residue in it. I apologise if you already know yours is above reproach !

Your experience with automobile electrics reminds me of a story. One of my first cars was a well used 1966 Volkswagen beetle that still had 6 volt electrics.
Everything worked- but not well. Starter worked but slow- headlights worked but dim. Radio wipers and turn signals worked.
But I got frustrated in how poorly they worked. So I bought a long length of welding cable , lugs, new battery clamps as needed and 12 gauge stranded wire for ground and rewired the car. All joints were soldered- nothing crimped- and the car body was no longer use as a conductor. The starter turned the engine over like fury, headlights were much better (but still not great) and the turn signals were brighter than they ever were before. I was proud as punch !

Good Luck With Your Restoration !!