Pinstriping questions

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
jboger
Victor IV

Pinstriping questions

Post by jboger »

I searched through the Forum, found some information, but unfortunately all the photos are gone.

I have an Edison Standard that has lost its pinstriping. It should have four straight lines with some flourishes in the corners. Nothing fancy and no parallel lines. I don't think there could be an easier job.

I note that someone had laid down blue painter's tape to draw the straight lines. Unfortunately no pictures. Wouldn't this technique produce raised edges along the length of the line and not look quite right? I hope that's clear. I've used that tape to paint a wall. When you strip away the tape, one has a raised edge where the paint was laid next to the tape.

If someone has a picture of a machine in which they used this technique, I would appreciate seeing it.

There is a professional pen made by Baugher, but the cost is around $100+. I don't see myself doing a lot of this work so I'm having a hard time justifying the cost.

John

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Pinstriping questions

Post by Curt A »

Just go to Gregg Cline's site and order the striping set - $25:

https://www.phonodecal.com/shop/phonogr ... b-bedplate
https://www.phonodecal.com
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Curt:

That I need to think about. How do these look? And can you go over them with a clear coat of shellac?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

jboger wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:24 pm Curt:

That I need to think about. How do these look? And can you go over them with a clear coat of shellac?
Nothing to think about. They look as good as (just like) the original and can be (should be) over-coated with "amber" shellac, for original appearance and durability. Gregg is an expert at this and has replicated decals for some very high end machines. Edison Standard striping was done with decals, not painted by hand.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife