Need a recommendation on a good grain filler.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Need a recommendation on a good grain filler.

Post by Jerry B. »

I'm just about out of my dark grain filler and have been unable to find something locally. Does anyone have a product they really like. It should be dark, easy to apply, and easy to remove leaving the product in the valleys of the grain. Where can it be purchased?

Most of us know that mahogany should have a piano finish. Light should bounce off the finish like it bounces off glass. Filling the grain of a mahogany piece is really important. How do you achieve the best results?

Thanks, Jerry Blais

Henry
Victor V

Re: Need a recommendation on a good grain filler.

Post by Henry »

This probably won't help, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Victor used dried seaweed (species not given) as a grain filler. Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps it's not a practical solution for today!? I'm also interested in some replies from experienced refinishers as to modern available products. Just as an aside, and of no practical use except for painted (horrors!) wood surfaces, when a friend and I assembled a harpsichord kit years ago the instructions for finishing the case said to use drywall spackling mixed with the paint. This will produce a smooth even finish alright, but it's obviously not a method to use if the wood grain pattern is to show!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I have used plaster-of-paris tinted with UTC paint colorant to fill grain in the past. Stain the piece, screed tinted plaster into the grain and let dry. Sand and clean. Coat with sanding sealer. Sand. Screed tinted plaster again and repeat subsequent steps. Apply finish coats. I refinished a set of 6 huge church doors this way, for example, and the results were stunning.

Having said that, I am now a huge fan of using hot hide glue as a grain filler. Simply paint on and sand when dry. Repeat if/as necessary. Apply finish coats. Hide glue has the added benefit of accepting any stain that you apply to it, and any finish will go over it with no adhesion problems.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I've used Pore-o-pac in the past. They have one pre-tinted for mahogany, but for oak, you'd have to use natural, and tint it before use (remember to tint before applying....gain filler doesn't always take stain well once dried, and nothing more annoying than having the grain filled with white specks...a mistake I made only once).

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I have used the Pore-o-pac mahogany as well and achieved excellent results. Easy, no, it took a fair amount of elbow grease, however, I was very happy with the results. I have kept my eye open for an easier method, however, I have not found one.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

If you're doing a French polish-type of finish, brick dust has often been used on mahogany. Pumice is a good filler as well.....

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks for the suggestions. One nice thing about refinishing objects for resale is the luxury of experimenting and fine tuning a method before I work on a object that go into my collection. I think I'll experiment with the colored paster of paris with my next resale project. Thanks, Jerry