Who has done work on needle bar/diaphragm resonance and mass

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
PeteLeoni
Victor I
Personal Text: I know nothing (yet) help!

Re: Who has done work on needle bar/diaphragm resonance and mass

Post by PeteLeoni »

I have another set of gaskets and mica etc. coming in today for the #2. This time I will work out the recipe for the putty on the inside (and phase plug shape with putty) but first video will be just putting thr putty on while record is playing. That speaks a lot more than my words do. After that I will see how to conceal it on the inside.

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Post by PeteLeoni »

Hold the presses.

I hope everyone who is interested in this topic reads through it.
So...I decided to add mass (instead of my putty trick) using more beeswax on both sides of the reproducer. The result was my nasty midrange peak all but disappeared proving (once again) that the engineers at Victor knew what they were doing. My guess is that there existed, from the factory, and intentionally, a good bit of beeswax on the mica Not only seal the needle bar, but also *tame that wild 1200hz (or so) peak resonance*. Does my putty trick work? Yes and it make some recordings much better especially if there is not enough beeswax mass on the reproducer! But is it needed?
No, probably not it you dont spare the wax and melt enough on both sides of mica.

The folks at Victor no doubt factored in that wax for damping that resonance into the recipe. I feel the well intentioned advice of using only a tiny amount of beeswax may not be the way to go and more is better.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

One photo of your results would help...
Inigo

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Post by PeteLeoni »

I put the heavy beeswax on the inside of these so a pic would show nothing. I will on the next one I do. Probably makes no difference if you put extra wax on inside outside, or both. If you want to hear results just put a small ⅛" ball of putty on the crook of needle bar where it meets mica. You can do this while playing record if careful and a/b quickly.