This Is Scary

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JeffR1
Victor III

This Is Scary

Post by JeffR1 »

I was cringing and wincing when I watched this guy remove this spring.
Starts at around the 6:15 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5Dy0a3aIQ

poodling around
Victor V

Re: This Is Scary

Post by poodling around »

JeffR1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:50 am I was cringing and wincing when I watched this guy remove this spring.
Starts at around the 6:15 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5Dy0a3aIQ
Wow !!! Removing the spring just seemed to go on for-ever .......... and not in a good way ! The tension (get it ?) was too much !!! :roll:

It seemed a bit like those people who play around with tigers and don't expect anything bad to happen. Or playing with a rattle-snake !

Did he have eye protection ? Having thick gloves and placing the spring in a sack seems safer and more prudent to me.

His technique reminded me some-what of a stage magician ! I thought he was going to pull a rabbit out of it !!!
Last edited by poodling around on Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The scary part was not the spring removal, it was the "better solvent" that he used that can came from a red gasoline can. He never stated what the solvent was however. Using gasoline indoors, now that's scary! :shock:

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

poodling around wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:18 am
Did he have eye protection ? Having thick gloves and placing the spring in a sack seems safer and more prudent to me.
I have manually removed springs before but switched to the "let it unwind in a bucket" method when I got older. One advantage of the manual removal is that you're less likely to damage the outer pear-shaped hole than when letting it explosively unwind in a bucket or sack. I was still quite amazed how he was able to hold both the spring and the barrel without it slipping away :shock: Shows great grip strength. Showing this in an instructional video on you-tube is irresponsible though. I also am amazed that his thin rubber gloves held up instead of being cute to shreds :o

Andreas

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

alang wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:02 pm
poodling around wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:18 am
I have manually removed springs before but switched to the "let it unwind in a bucket" method when I got older. One advantage of the manual removal is that you're less likely to damage the outer pear-shaped hole than when letting it explosively unwind in a bucket or sack. I was still quite amazed how he was able to hold both the spring and the barrel without it slipping away :shock: Shows great grip strength. Showing this in an instructional video on you-tube is irresponsible though. I also am amazed that his thin rubber gloves held up instead of being cute to shreds :o

Andreas
I agree with you entirely Andreas.

I would never advise any-one to remove a spring in the way the video shows as, in my personal opinion, it is too dangerous. For example, I remember some-one on here mentioned that a person was hospitalised because a spring cut their skin and it led to an infection.

PeteLeoni
Victor I
Personal Text: I know nothing (yet) help!

Post by PeteLeoni »

Used gasoline like Victor recommended, Took big chances, Poor guy. Probably well loved by all of his significant *other(s)* as well, and to make it all even worse, the machine worked well after he repaired it. The nerve of him! (-:

SteveBurgess
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victrola XVI - 1912

Post by SteveBurgess »

There is no adequate "eye protection" for this. I'm an electrician and it's like an arc flash situation. The damage is going to happen, it is just trying to survive.

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Post by PeteLeoni »

I wonder what a film of all the close calls we've had after a full happy life would look like? Mine would have "Took a chance with a Victrola spring" somewhere at the front before the 60 year old airplane "bending up" and the interstate motorcycle crashes. (-: I admit I am more careful now. Gasoline? Hell sometimes it's simply the world's best solvent. I can easily see why those daring pioneering men at Victor recommended it. Probably drained it out of their 1909 Indian motor bikes (-:

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

PeteLeoni wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:29 pm Used gasoline like Victor recommended, Took big chances, Poor guy. Probably well loved by all of his significant *other(s)* as well, and to make it all even worse, the machine worked well after he repaired it. The nerve of him! (-:
I use gasoline as a degreaser myself. My point was not to do it anywhere indoors.

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Post by PeteLeoni »

I watched the video in question again.
The only real issue I had was the thin plastic gloves and perhaps the "indoor gasoline" One thing for certain life is an infinite balance of risks and rewards. I did my first "spring cleaning" a few weeks ago and 3 others since. That first one was not much better looking than his but I had heavy gloves and diesel instead of gasoline. His shop looks great and he has a copy of "Raunchy" on 78, he can't be all bad (-: