Digital Tachometer

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Discman
Victor II

Digital Tachometer

Post by Discman »

I just bought one of these on Ebay for $19.95 and it works great:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-photo-tacho ... 066wt_1139

I put a small piece of the reflective included with the tach on the edge of my turntables and can set them to the correct speed in seconds. It really works great on my cylinder machines too. I put a small piece of tape on an old cylinder and just pop that on a machine to set the speed.

Dave Jolley

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Re: Digital Tachometer

Post by SonnyPhono »

I have used a digital tachometer for quite awhile now. Mine is incredibly simple to use on both disc and cylinder machines. It measures in feet per minute, (which is pointless for my intentions) as well as revolutions per minute and is accurate to a tenth of an rpm. There are different attachments included so you can measure rpms on cylinder machines which is helpful when trying to change speeds while playing brown wax cylinders. They can be tricky and their rpms can be all over the board.

Here is a VERY short video I have on youtube. I will post another sometime soon showing in more detail the attachments and how it works on both styles of phonographs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB6Mi3JTkJ0[/youtube]

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Discman wrote:I just bought one of these on Ebay for $19.95 and it works great:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-photo-tacho ... 066wt_1139

I put a small piece of the reflective included with the tach on the edge of my turntables and can set them to the correct speed in seconds. It really works great on my cylinder machines too. I put a small piece of tape on an old cylinder and just pop that on a machine to set the speed.

Dave Jolley
I'm glad you posted this... it reminds me that I purchased one last year, but I have no idea where I put it!! Thank you for the reminder to look for it. :rose:

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

Mine doesn't require any attachments. What function do they perform? I just stick a small piece of reflective tape on whatever I want to time, point the laser at it and it gives the speed.
Dave

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I bought one of those tachometers from Amazon.com for $6.95 plus $6.00 postage. They work great. I used it on my Edison Standard and my Victor III. It is so accurate. I have trouble reading a strobe disk, but the tach is easy to read. I bought an extra one to give to a fellow collector for his birthday. I highly recommend them.
Harvey Kravitz

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

I have the same one from Amazon, and it works well. However, it does not reveal any inherent wow. When I recorded the constant-tone tuning disc after setting the speed with the tachometer, I noted just how bad my C-19 is compared to my Schubert. Overhauling that motor can wait!