How to salvage an HMV 5A soundbox... if its that simple

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
HMV1931
Victor Jr

How to salvage an HMV 5A soundbox... if its that simple

Post by HMV1931 »

How would you overhaul a soundbox that isnt performing too well. Unfortunately 2 of the 4 screws in the black pot- metal backing have snapped leaving half the screws in the holes and the backplate wont budge. :/

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Re: How to salvage an HMV 5A soundbox... if its that simple

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Reproducers can be difficult to fix as the back plates (the black painted part) were made of pot metal. Over time this poor material expands and distorts. Because of this trying to remove the back can be very difficult / impossible without causing damage. In some cases it can be done but it might be easier to buy another. That just my opinion.
S-B-H

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

..Just to add to my previous post you could try penetrating oil or freezing the soundbox. I have heard (although not tried this myself) that the difference in the contraction of the pot metal and the other materials may help you to free it. But I can't help but feel that finding another would be a better option. If you do buy another check the black painted back part for any cracks or signs of distortion. Also ask to hear it or if buying from ebay ask if they can check this and also confirm that the sound box doesn't make a buzzing noise when playing records.

S-B-H

HMV1931
Victor Jr

Post by HMV1931 »

Thanks so much for your helpful advice, I'm afraid I'm a beginner at this game. I shall now try to find a 5A on the internet, i shall start with ebay :)
Thanks again
Tom

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

You could try and find a rough HMV 102 portable. That often used the 5b reproducer, but these are compatible with the 5a. That might be a cheaper solution.

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Whilst the two are compatible the 5A and 5B have different finishes and reflect the finish of the tone arm. One is a chrome finish and the other nickle. They look different - not wildly different but noticible. You might need to wait for one to turn up on ebay, but it will. They are not rare. If you need a 5A to be correct then get a 5A. I wouldn't suggest replacing a correct part with an incorrect one.

S-B-H

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Aren't all 102's chrome plated? Or did they change to nickel for the ones sold with a 5a, and only those sold with a No.16 or 5b were chrome?
I'm fairly certain one of my 5a's is chrome plated too, but it came from India so it may be different to the regular UK versions.

HMV1931
Victor Jr

Post by HMV1931 »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I cant help feeling that i'm going to be spending a lot more on the soundbox than on the entire gramophone itself :L. It looks like they sell for around 60 pounds, I guess I'll just have to fork out. Also, how do you correctly fit the soundbox to the tone arm? I'm only 16 and must seem horribly lacking in knowledge compared to you all. Thanks very much for the help and hopefully once this is sorted I can listen to my prized 78s :)

Tom

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I bought most of my 5a & 5b soundboxes from ebay India & I dont think I paid more than about $20 each.

HMV1931
Victor Jr

Post by HMV1931 »

Thanks for the advice, although I fear I went on eBay India and there didnt seem to be any at all :/ Unless im looking for the wrong thing and they dont call them soundboxes in India.