How to fit a soundbox for a very grateful beginner?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
HMV1931
Victor Jr

How to fit a soundbox for a very grateful beginner?

Post by HMV1931 »

Assuming that hopefully a replacement soundbox is on its way, How would I properly fit a soundbox to a tone arm ensuring that everything is just so? The soundbox would be a HMV 5A or 5B and the machine a green 1931 HMV 102. I think something of an airtight fit is required? Any instructions would be very much appreciated as I am new to this game and distinctly lacking in knowledge compared to all the people on this forum that have kindly helped me so far :). Thankyou all very much indeed.

Regards
Tom
Last edited by HMV1931 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HMV1931
Victor Jr

Re: How to fit a soundbox for a very grateful beginner?

Post by HMV1931 »

Just paid £70 for what looks like an excellent HMV 5B from ewpgram on ebay. Does anyone know him? It certainly looked very good. Thanks to him if he is on this forum :)

HMV1931
Victor Jr

Post by HMV1931 »

What do people think of this soundbox? I'm afraid I cant tell by looking. I thought everything seemed in order. Shiny intact front, and no or little crack marks on the black pot metal back.
Attachments
gramgram.jpg
gramgram.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 1912 times

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

HMV1931 wrote:Assuming that hopefully a replacement soundbox is on its way, How would I properly fit a soundbox to a tone arm ensuring that everything is just so? The soundbox would be a HMV 5A or 5B and the machine a green 1931 HMV 102. I think something of an airtight fit is required? Any instructions would be very much appreciated as I am new to this game and distinctly lacking in knowledge compared to all the people on this forum that have kindly helped me so far :). Thankyou all very much indeed.

Regards
Tom
I'll start by saying that I'm super nit-picky about air-leaks.

What I've always done, to ensure that there are no gaps, even with a relatively tight fitting sound box, is to wrap a little Teflon plumber's tape ---

---on the tone arm's end before inserting the sound box. This not only seals the joint, but prevents any movement if the sound box does not fit tightly enough. Teflon tape, if you've never used it, is non-sticky, flexible and extremely thin -- basically like a sheet of plastic. It's also very easy to remove, simply by scraping or peeling off, with no residue left behind.

Another thing to do, if the sound box fits the end of the tonearm really tight, is to smear a little Vaseline onto the end before inserting it.

Good luck.
OF

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

I'd be surprised if it didn't fit perfectly without any teflon tape. These soundboxes and arms were really well made, after all they were some of the most expensive portables at the time, and only with serious abuse can get unround. Just gently push the soundbox unto the arm and then twist right until the the little extension gets into place. The 102 is a seriously good machine, that was made for nearly 30 years. I've got it in Electrola form of 1931 vintage that still is in as new condition, even with its original mainspring and reproducer gaskets.
Columbia made a portable that sounded better, but that is as rare as a hen's gold tooth with a price according to that. A nice 102 is still relatively easy to find and is a great way to start playing 78s on.
The build quality is far better than their Victrola counterparts - sorry American viewers - and with a little care they will last for an other 80 years at least.