Mahogany graining for Opera Elbow

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Homestead
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Deep in the East Texas Phonograph Desert

Mahogany graining for Opera Elbow

Post by Homestead »

Newbie to the group although I have been lurking for over a year....just got approved to join in!!! I am James Manker a collector from Deep East Texas. I purchased an Edison Opera this summer but the cygnet elbow graining has mostly flaked off. The interior is still in relatively good shape. I really don't want to mess this up and since Gregg Cline is no longer graining, can someone give me a lead to who would do a good job on it. I heard of a Danny Arms but don't know if he is good or how to contact him. Thanks in advance....good to finally be a part of the forum!!!!! James

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Mahogany graining for Opera Elbow

Post by Curt A »

Welcome:

Danny Arms was a master wood grainer... unfortunately there is no good way to contact him, since he died a number of years ago. He explained his process to me, but I have never tried it. There are videos on YouTube showing the procedure - it's not terribly difficult, but takes practice and the right tools.

You need good quality metal graining combs and a check roller to start - not the wide rocker tools.
WoodGraining-CheckRoller-jpg2.jpg
WoodGraining-CheckRoller-jpg2.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 531 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Autos from the 30's and 40's had wood grained trim. You might check with car clubs near you for leads or suggestions. How about posting a photo of your elbow if you'd like opinions on its current appearance.

Jerry B.

Homestead
Victor Jr

Post by Homestead »

Ok here is a pic of the horn...I believe you can see enough of the elbow to see its in rough shape. Thanks for any suggestions. James ps sorry pic is sideways this is my first pic here and second posting!
Attachments
IMG_20230705_210439906_HDR.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Here is a cheap, simplified technique that would work fine for your horn. Just try to match the colors to the wood portion.
Remember - you can't ruin it (it already is) and you can re-do it until you like it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIZZfzCVmLo

PS: My previous comments were tools for oak graining - mahogany is easier since it is fine straight grain...

Here is another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6a6_4j7ZuM
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Homestead
Victor Jr

Post by Homestead »

Thanks Curt....I enjoyed the videos....will try it, as you said I dont really have much to lose since it's shot already. Thanks for all the help folks. Have a great 2024! James Manker