Removing platter on Victrola VV-80

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
larryc
Victor Jr

Removing platter on Victrola VV-80

Post by larryc »

Hello,

I have read quite a bit about removing the platter, but not on a VV-80. I am replacing the felt. It doesn't lift right off. Not even with a lot of force.

It feels like something is catching/interference underneath. I removed the felt and there are no screws or other hardware holding it on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Larry

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Removing platter on Victrola VV-80

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I don't have a "universal" experience, but on that type of machines I have yet to see a turntable which is held in place by anything else than gravity.

Sometimes rust freezes the turntable and the spindle just like they were welded together. Spraying the gap between the spindle and the turntable with some rust remover or release agent and leaving it to act overnight helps in some cases, but not always. Many years ago I remember removing a stubborn VV VIII turntable by placing wedges below the turntable while hammering on the spindle.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree with Marco's good advice. After it's lubricated overnight I would suggest heating the spindle with a hair dryer. It's sometimes a two person job. While one person gently lifts, the other person taps on the spindle with a hammer or mallet while holding a piece of wood on top of the spindle. If you are worried about pinching fingers placing two wedges 180 degrees apart will accomplish the same purpose. That turntable will come apart.

Jerry B.

larryc
Victor Jr

Post by larryc »

Thank you Jerry and Marco. I have some rust remover on their now and will try and rubber hammer and wood process tomorrow. Thanks!

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

If the other suggestions don't do it-- Here is one more, which I've had to do a few times over the years-
Remove the crank from the machine, then remove the motor board to access the motor- make sure motor is completely wound down.
Remove the set-screw from the spindle gear and after cleaning around the spindle gear and spindle shaft, slide the turntable and spindle shaft out of the motor-- It may take a little pressure, but it will come out. Now that the turntable and shaft are free from the motor, set the turntable spindle sleeve on top of the jaws of a vise with the shaft protruding between the jaws- This gives a solid surface for the TT and allows you to gently tap the spindle out from the top.

Hope this helps-
Brad Abell

larryc
Victor Jr

Post by larryc »

Thanks Brad. If it comes to it, I will use this method. Thanks for the help.

larryc
Victor Jr

Post by larryc »

The rust remover/rubber hammer-wood block method worked! I am cleaning off old felt now. Thanks so much! I didn't think it would be ok to be so "rough" with it, but that did the trick. Thanks much, Larry

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The rust remover/rubber hammer-wood block method worked! I am cleaning off old felt now. Thanks so much! I didn't think it would be ok to be so "rough" with it, but that did the trick. Thanks much, Larry
I always appreciate when someone asked a question or for help that they reply when successful. It makes it all worthwhile.

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry B. wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:20 am
I always appreciate when someone asked a question or for help that they reply when successful. It makes it all worthwhile.

Jerry B.
I agree with you 100% Not only is it helpful to others, but it's also just plain polite! :)