Can it - or should it -be replated?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Can it - or should it -be replated?

Post by Lucius1958 »

I have been wondering about the horn on my Columbia BI. I bought it about 20+ years ago, shortly after acquiring the machine; as it had suffered a bit from corrosion, the nickel was pretty dull and spotty.

After repairing a split or two as best I could, I attempted to buff it up; but found myself buffing the nickel nearly off before I got a decent polish. The only recourse I had was to use one of those metallic-finish 'leafing' waxes; this covered up the worst sins (so to speak), but was never quite satisfying. (You can see the current appearance on my YouTube videos).

So - would it be possible, if I get the metal properly repaired (resources?), to replate the entire horn? Would that even be a realistic option, in terms of effort and money spent?

If not, is there an easier way to simulate nickel plate that would be reasonably close to the original appearance? Or should I just start looking for a horn in better condition...... and how should I dispose of the current one?

Bill

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Can it - or should it -be replated?

Post by Jerry B. »

Without seeing a photo it's a little difficult to give a specific opinion. I think re-plating a part is fine but I would suggest doing all the parts on a machine not just some of them. A Vic IV was the last machine that I had plated and I had everything plated right down to the little screws. The machine looked great and now it will begin aging evenly again. Be sure to ask your plater if he offers different finishes. That is very important with gold plating. Jerry