SIMPLE record cleaning "machines".

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

SIMPLE record cleaning "machines".

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

So far I have always used a Knosti record cleaning "machine". I actually use two: the first for washing, the other for rinsing with cleaner distilled water plus a photographic wetting agent. This "machine" is very effective for what it is, but it is absolutely not aimed at 78 RPM records. First of all the clamshell supposed to keep the label dry (not very effective even with LPs, but still acceptable) is too large for the labels of 78s and in many cases the innermost grooves of the records remain unwashed. Also, the tiny extra thickness of the average 78 record has not been taken in any consideration, and is thus enough for a tremendous resistance to rotation to be felt, which is of course the antichamber of record shattering.

A few years ago I even wrote to the manufacturer, asking if they would make a batch of 78-specific clamshells; he kindly replied, but refused to do so.

As an alternative to Knosti-type machines, there's the SpinClean type. In these machines the label is completely unprotected (not a big deal) but worst of all the record is not held in place and/or in line by anything, it simply rolls over... well... "rolls", which aside from being very unconvenient, may also easily lead to record breakage in the case of 78s.

Has anyone perhaps found a cheap, small and effective cleaning "machine" like these, which is more 78-oriented perhaps?

Or did anyone come up with a simple idea to make a 78-specific label protecter/holder for the Knosti machine with generic parts? Like plastic circles and o-rings?

Or does anyone have the skills to design such 3D-printed clamshell perhaps?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: SIMPLE record cleaning "machines".

Post by alang »

I've been using the SpinClean for years and have cleaned way over a thousand 78s with it. I never had a single one break, even though I agree that the rollers could be improved.

Andreas

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Another vote for the Spin Clean. Confused on how this can "break records" unless it's gross operator error. :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

And yet another vote for the Spin-Clean. I will say that, yes, the rollers could use some tweaking (or maybe it's just my particular unit), as I find they can tend to sometimes ride up and come out during the record-cleaning process. I have overcome this by keeping some pressure on the rollers themselves as I turn the disc in the cleaning solution. Incidentally, for those who own one (and don't already know this), those drying pads that come with the units are known as "lap pads" in the surgical world and can be had in bulk from sources like Amazon for not a lot of moolah. I prefer to think I'm thrifty and not cheap :D

For around a hundred bucks, it's hard to beat. I would love one of the more sophisticated units that do auto wash/vac/dry on a disc, but they are well out of my meager budget.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I see that in the States the SpinClean machine is quite much diffused.

How is the label protected and kept dry while cleaning, and how are the different label diameters taken into account? Does the cleaning machine come with multiple label caps?

Also, are the rollers repositionable, so that if a 10'' is cleaned after a 12'', the former would not be submerged by the cleaning compound?

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

This waterproof label-protector is sold on amazon/ebay/aliexpress.
I've included the link below because the images show it dismantled and the use [there is no implied endorsement of this seller, buy the cheapest version you can find, they are all the same].
They are made for LP's and 7" records.
However, buying a couple of appropriate sized 0-rings for 78's and adhering with silicone to some perspex disks with a centre hole will allow the handle from the commercial ones should work well. I've had it on my list of things to eventually do for some time!
https://www.walvisproducts.eu/a-5649027 ... protector/

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I've used my Spin Clean for ages and never had any issues with getting water on the labels as the grooves seem to trap it quite well due to the design. The label is not submerged. The rollers have 3 slots for 7", 10" and 12". Just move the rollers to the right slot.

I ran out of the cleaner ages ago. Warm water with a couple drops liquid dish soap works just as well if not better, IMO. I use water from my purifier unit. If you have hard water, use distilled water.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

gramophone-georg wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:13 pm I've used my Spin Clean for ages and never had any issues with getting water on the labels as the grooves seem to trap it quite well due to the design. The label is not submerged. The rollers have 3 slots for 7", 10" and 12". Just move the rollers to the right slot.

I ran out of the cleaner ages ago. Warm water with a couple drops liquid dish soap works just as well if not better, IMO. I use water from my purifier unit. If you have hard water, use distilled water.
Agree with George. I've not had a problem with getting liquid on the labels as they are above the fluid line in the tank.

Thanks, George, for the tip about dish soap. It was time to re-up on the Spin Clean fluid and I wondered if there was a safe alternative. Now I know!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hey @dzavracky there was 3d printing mentioned in this thread, engineering, and records. Any chance you could work your magic again?

(For everyone else, David was nice enough to print out a new GEM mandrel pulley. My survivor GEM A now just needs the motor rebuilt and a new belt before it is ready to play again-- the print is crisp and clean although I may ream it out and add a brass or bronze bushing in the center. I oil with 20-weight, not LaBelle model railroad lubes, and I don't know if it will eat up the new part over time. Looks pretty good for a 121-year-old record player though, way better than I could design, and now I have an actual chance to hear it in my lifetime so thanks again David it's great.)
17123273385526341232610675988754.jpg