hello everyone.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
crankyarm
Victor Jr

hello everyone.

Post by crankyarm »

ive just got my first victrola.it is a v v -x-.ive been wanting one for 20 plus years and bought one,the original owner knew nothing about it.and it was not working,he lost the crank arm.yes i paid to much :( .but ive already started a rebuild and ordered parts from phonophan.
ive been researching for a few weeks and im going to rebuild the spring mechanism and everything else.i got it playing pretty good,but the sound box had a broken small holder for the needle base,so i made one from light metal.
now im out of alignment im guessing as the set bolts probably need to be just so.hope this makes sense.i need to identify the parts properly so someone may know what im talking about.thanks.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: hello everyone.

Post by OrthoFan »

I'd guess you're talking about the "needle bar balance springs" or flat springs?

These are designed to adjust the pivot of the needle bar, itself, on its "fulcrum" to ensure maximum back and forth movement of the diaphragm (in order to track the sideways movement of the record groove).

I'd recommend that you get a replacement set of balance springs, which is available from a number of suppliers, including http://www.antiquephono.com/victor.htm

The adjustment of the needle bar is relatively simple, once the balance springs are in place. You simply turn one screw, and then the other, alternately, until the needle bar's foot is aligned with the center of the diaphragm. It should just touch the diaphragm, but not exert any pressure or pull on the mica. The needle bar, itself, should also move freely back and forth, only in the direction required to move the diaphragm.

If you need, there are step by step instructions for rebuilding the Exhibition sound box on this page -- http://www.nipperhead.com/old/reproducers.htm

crankyarm
Victor Jr

Post by crankyarm »

wow! thanks so much.that is more info that i was expecting.i will certainly be on the correct path now.thank you for replying.and yes that is what i was trying to say.

Butleran
Victor Jr

Post by Butleran »

Here is a youtube video that I found to be very helpful if you're trying to rebuild a #2 reproducer.
I am in the process of finishing my first rebuild. Getting it apart was easy, and now I am just waiting on the parts from ebay. It costs about $25 bucks American, if you don't have to buy the mica diaphragm...Good luck!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rhh5_7UYGY

crankyarm
Victor Jr

Post by crankyarm »

that is excellent.thanks for the link.my player has a victor exhibition reproducer.now i need some rebuild parts,then off comes the spring mechanism :shock: .yickes.