VV 2-55 Governor Vibration

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
novkev24
Victor I

VV 2-55 Governor Vibration

Post by novkev24 »

I'm experiencing an issue with my VV 2-55. When I turn on the machine, I hear a vibrating sound. When I put the reproducer on the record, the vibration usually stops. I tried adjusting the governor retainer screw. Tightening the screw seems to help, but does the resolve the issue. Sometimes, the noise gets really loud. I also noticed that the turntable speed is inconsistent as well.

After reading through some posts on this site, I have come to the conclusion that the governor might out of balance. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue would be appreciated. I posted a video below. To hear the vibration, you will need to turn up your computer speakers. The recording sound is pretty low.

Thanks,
Kevin

[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PdqSYzsHyU[/youtubehq]
The purchase of a Genuine Victrola closes the Avenue of Future Regret.

- ANNOUNCEMENT The Victrola Shortage Today (New Castle News, Friday, December, 20, 1918)

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: VV 2-55 Governor Vibration

Post by Brad »

Kevin,

I have experience several different conditions that results in similar vibration sounds. Check the gov. weights to make sure they are attached tightly to the springs, and the springs to the gov. Also check that the springs are not broken, cracked, or of different length. Another one is the where the gov. assembly is retained along it's access. If the gov. is loose, or the hole, cup, or retainer is worn, it can result in vibration.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

novkev24
Victor I

Re: VV 2-55 Governor Vibration

Post by novkev24 »

Thanks Brad for the advice. I will take a look at your suggestions and will let you know what I find.

Regards,
Kevin
The purchase of a Genuine Victrola closes the Avenue of Future Regret.

- ANNOUNCEMENT The Victrola Shortage Today (New Castle News, Friday, December, 20, 1918)