Fidelitone needles

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
lakesideglenn
Victor Jr

Fidelitone needles

Post by lakesideglenn »

Hi there...I'm a newbee to all this and have a needle question. I recently got 2 packs of Fidelitone standard steel needles and it says on the packaging "good for 12 or more plays" Is this true? I was under the impression that you had to change after every play unless using Tungstone needles. I don't want to risk damage to my limited supply of records.
Any advice would be appreciated...

Glenn

Henry
Victor V

Re: Fidelitone needles

Post by Henry »

I don't know anything about Fidelitone needles, but if they are steel (and there are lots of different kinds of steel!) I would only play them once, regardless of the claims. There are still plenty of choices when it comes to steel needles, and they are cheap, but OTOH they aren't making 78s anymore, so their conservation becomes especially important.

lakesideglenn
Victor Jr

Post by lakesideglenn »

My thoughts exactly. Speaking of saving the records, what's the best way to clean them....soap and warmwater?

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

I have cleaned 78s by gently wiping in the direction of the grooves, using a clean, lint-free cloth and distilled water (our tap water here is very hard and I don't want any residue build-up). Distilled water is inexpensive by the gallon at the supermarket. I suppose, in the case of really dirty ones, I would use a mild liquid dish detergent, very dilute; Woolite would also work, I would think. Fact is, I cleaned my turntable felt with Woolite and it turned out looking very good indeed. You only need to use a few drops of it in water, as it's very concentrated. There are also various proprietary products on the market, and other members here will have suggestions to offer.

What part of NJ is Blackwood in? (You're sure it's not "backwood"? :D )

lakesideglenn
Victor Jr

Post by lakesideglenn »

Camden County, just outside of Philly...not to far from where they made the Victor machines in Camden. In fact I just got my first machine from a forum member who lives in the Victor building, now apartments.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

OK, I guess I know where that is! Go Phillies!

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

The Fidelitone needles were from the late 50s and early 60s. Their claim of numbers of plays were for much lighter tone arm pressures than the 2-4 ounces the vintage machines provide. It's best not to try to get that many plays out of them.
Cleaning the old 78s can be done with water and dishwashing soap [Joy used to be recommended in the U.S.], without problems, and Windex can also be used. Do NOT, however, use these on Edison discs [other than the late needle-type ones], as it will destroy them.
Edison recommended using alcohol [rubbing alcohol works fine] on a soft cloth. Alcohol will melt a normal 'shellac' 78.
There is one caution, however, to using soap and water on 78s. The late RCA Victor 78s that have the round RCA emblem at the bottom of the label, had a silver ink for the printing that is soap-and-water soluble. If you get that mixture on the label, all the print disappears from the label and you get a blank label. You can still wash them, but make sure you keep that label dry! :oops: I found out the hard way years ago.