New member would appreciate advice.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
reynolds_jp
Victor Jr

New member would appreciate advice.

Post by reynolds_jp »

I have a Brunswick (unsure of model but it looks like a 207 but with a Number 2 motor). I'm in the process of pulling the motor apart to clean entirely. I've searched and watched a number of videos of this procedure but I haven't come across one in which the single barrel, two spring case is split in the center. I've started to pull the case apart but the spring is attached to the case and the drive shaft as expected. What I'm not sure of is how to release the spring from the drive shaft so that it can be removed safely.

Also, if anyone wants to chime in on what model I think I have, I'd certainly appreciate the insight.

This seems like a pretty awesome community, so thanks advance for any help anyone can offer.

- Justian
Attachments
I've begun to open the case.
I've begun to open the case.
No2 Motor as stamped.  Also has P-324 stamped on one side.
No2 Motor as stamped. Also has P-324 stamped on one side.
I've since (carefully) moved the needle holder to the proper place on the reproducer.
I've since (carefully) moved the needle holder to the proper place on the reproducer.
20170730_194610.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: New member would appreciate advice.

Post by Curt A »

First of all, welcome to the Forum...

Turn the spring barrel case (hold half with your hand and turn the other half) in the opposite direction of winding it, which should lessen tension on the spring and unhook it from the case. Once the spring unhooks, you should be able to separate the two halves. There should be a rivet or stud of some type in the case that the end of the spring is fastened to. Normally, the tension from winding keeps the spring hooked, as it has a slotted hole which fits over the stud, reversing it allows the spring to unhook... Hope this helps.

Curt
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

reynolds_jp
Victor Jr

Post by reynolds_jp »

Thanks Curt! That makes sense and I'll give it a go when I get home.

reynolds_jp
Victor Jr

Post by reynolds_jp »

Thank you Curt! That worked perfectly.

- Justian