REMOVING "O" REPRODUCER

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
rlh30edison
Victor Jr

REMOVING "O" REPRODUCER

Post by rlh30edison »

I NEED ADVICE ON THE SAFEST WAY TO REMOVE A MODEL "0" REPRODUCER FROM THE CARRIAGE. IT'S FROZEN, PERHAPS DUE TO SWELLING IF IT'S MADE OF WHITE METAL. ANY ADVICE ON REMOVAL WHILE AVOIDING DAMAGE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS TO ALL, RLH IN PA.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: REMOVING "O" REPRODUCER

Post by Lucius1958 »

If you have a copy of [The Compleat Talking Machine/b], Eric Reiss recommends supporting the carriage upside down on a couple of blocks of wood, with some padding underneath the reproducer itself, and gently tapping the perimeter of the reproducer with a small hammer and a brass rod, repeating the process until it comes free.

An additional procedure may be to leave the carriage and reproducer in the freezer overnight, before trying the above method: this may cause the pot metal to contract faster than the iron of the carriage, making it hopefully easier to remove.

Bill

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

First of all, what is the problem with it that makes it necessary to remove it? If it plays well as is, which many do, think about the risk of trying to remove it simply to change gaskets because removing the threaded ring will likely be a major problem once you get it out of the carriage. The potmetal will have swollen in both directions; against the ring as well as against the carriage. You may also have trouble with the hingeblock or limit pin hole threads becoming damaged. I have seen several Os which sound very good even with hard gaskets and air leaks. If there is a problem which must be repaired then it is necessary to remove it. Reiss' method of removal is good, but I feel there is a better way however you MUST remove the weight and stylus assembly first, including the hinge block leaving a completely flat surface to work with. This can be done with the reproducer in the carriage. In order to press the reproducer body out of the carriage you will need two steel rings, one whose inner diameter is slightly greater than the outer diameter of the reproducer top and deeper than the full height of the reproducer so the reproducer top won't bottom out and be broken as it is being pressed out of the carriage. The other ring needs to have an outer diameter outer diameter slightly smaller than the inner diameter of the carriage. Assemble everything in a "sandwich" and place it in a vise. Be sure that the ring over the topside of the reproducer is centered so the top flange of the reproducer body will not hit it and break off. Apply pressure with the vise and the reproducer should slide out of the carriage without a problem. Be ready to catch the parts when the reproducer comes free as there will no longer be any tension to keep things in the vise.
I know this is pretty long-winded, but I hope it helps. In any event, be very careful however you do it. If you are not sure about it, you may better off to ship the carriage and reproducer to someone such as Steve Medved instead of trying to do it yourself.

Jim

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

Put the carriage and reproducer in your freezer over night. It will fall out.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Maybe. It depends on how much it has expanded and how tight it is. It won't hurt and may help.

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

[quote="phonojim"]Maybe. It depends on how much it has expanded and how tight it is. It won't hurt and may help.[/q

I have never in 30 years had one that it didn't work. It can't hurt to try something so simple? :lol:

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

I posted this on the Old Time Victrola Music Board but seems no one visits there anymore.

How many times have you seen frozen Edison Reproducers butchered by extracting from the carriage by people using a punch and hammer. Also broken carriages from brute force trying to free the reproducer.

Here is a simple jig you can make for under $5.00 that will extract the reproducer without leaving a mark or damage.

Head out to your local hardware store and you will find what is needed in the plumbing section.

You may need another pair of hands to help you holding the items together and you can use a C clamp or vise to do the pressing. Be careful not to press beyond the point that the reproducer is free from the carriage.
Attachments
jig5_zpsapkkasyx.JPG
jig3_zpsgdawcfgq.JPG
jig1_zpsv5x3mjfo.JPG

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Nice looking rig. Thanks for the information. I will try that next. I have had success with Kriol and freezing it. I also heated up the carriage a little as I tapped it out with a wood rod. A wood dowel rod is firm enough to knock it out usually. I agree with Herman though. if it ain't broke don not fix it. Tom B