Stroboscope for Cylinder phonograph

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
egambino
Victor Jr

Stroboscope for Cylinder phonograph

Post by egambino »

Does anyone know where I can obtain a stroboscope to correctly dial in my Edison Standard A? I tried setting it by ear, but I guess the old ears aren't what they used to be. Thanks!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Stroboscope for Cylinder phonograph

Post by MordEth »

egambino,

Welcome to The Talking Machine Forum!

To make things easier, I created a 120 RPM and 160 RPM strobe, both with text identifying the speed and without, all placed on the same sheet of paper for easy printing. Just download this document, and print it:
120_and_160rpm_60hz_strobe.pdf
120/160 RPM @ 60 Hz cylinder strobes:
(117.06 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
You would want to use the 120 RPM strobe with your Edison Standard, although I included the 160 RPM strobe in the same page for convenience. If you are using Windows, you will most likely need Adobe Reader (which is free software) to print PDF documents, assuming you do not already have it installed.

Here are images showing the 4 strobe graphics in the PDF:

(120 RPM @ 60 Hz, with text)

(120 RPM @ 60 Hz, without text)

(160 RPM @ 60 Hz, with text)

(160 RPM @ 60 Hz, without text)

As mentioned in the PDF, the strobes were created with strobo.exe (attached below), then scaled in Illustrator for use timing cylinders.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if I can be of further assistance.

— MordEth

Attachments
strobo.zip
(22.58 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

egambino
Victor Jr

Post by egambino »

Thanks so much! I'm assuming that this is placed at the end of the mandrel, between it and the endgate. You can probably tell I am quite new to this, although I have been dying for one of these for years. I do have some kind of wind-up phonograph (I think it's some kind of Indian garbage, date unknown) that I got years ago. I love this Edison, and since it's 106 year old technology, I might even be able to grasp the mechanics of how it works! Now I'm going broke buying cylinders.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

egambino,

You’re very welcome.
egambino wrote:I'm assuming that this is placed at the end of the mandrel, between it and the endgate.
Yes, you want to slip the strobe on the end of the mandrel, and after starting the phonograph, you want to watch the strobe ring under a normal fluorescent or incandescent light, and adjust the speed control of your turntable until the bands in the ring appear stationary. Once that’s happening, your machine is set at the speed of the strobe.
egambino wrote:You can probably tell I am quite new to this, although I have been dying for one of these for years. I do have some kind of wind-up phonograph (I think it's some kind of Indian garbage, date unknown) that I got years ago.
If this is a disc phonograph or gramophone, and you need a strobe for it, I recommend the one that Matt Brown makes available here.

And despite being new to the hobby, it is entirely possible that you’re more knowledgeable than I am, as I’m far more of a ‘computer’ person than a ‘phonograph’ person. I’ve learned a lot from the members of this board, but I’m still more the tech support and computer answer guy than the person to go to with a phonograph question. :D
egambino wrote:I love this Edison, and since it's 106 year old technology, I might even be able to grasp the mechanics of how it works! Now I'm going broke buying cylinders.
Despite the age of these machines, in my opinion they often feature ingenious solutions to facilitate playing music mechanically, and the precision with which this is accomplished is quite impressive. Edison had a lot of good ideas, as did other manufacturers. One thing in particular that impressed me (sorry, but it’s on a Victor) was the precision of the auto-stop on the Granada—at one point we were recording multiple clips of the same record on it, and the brake engaged at exactly the same time (the waveforms lined up very precisely) each time.

And after 83 years, it’s still remarkably reliable.

I don’t think my modern audio equipment will still be working when it reaches this age. ;)

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

A while back, Kevan posted a thread on the Edison board regarding a device that also could read RPMs as well as other speed functions.
speedometer
For a lousy buck plus shipping, I went ahead and ordered one for myself. It arrived the other day and I pitted it against machines that had already been set with a strobe and I have to say that it was dead on!! It reads a magnet that is attached to the TT or mandrel and computes the revolutions. I used a rubber band to affix it to the end of the mandrel and it's small enough so it doesn't hit the bed plate or anything else during the rotation. The magnet is strong enough to penetrate through the felt on the TT so you just need to attach it to the top edge.

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Kevan
Victor I
Personal Text: Over Hill And Dale.....and back again.

Post by Kevan »

Thanks Bill for the feedback on the speed o meter.
Here is a link to the demo I did on youtube awhile back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsCV66xCdOA

I ordered 10 of them and gave them out to other collectors and they all say that they are BANG ON with the speed.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

MordEth wrote:egambino,

Welcome to The Talking Machine Forum!

To make things easier, I created a 120 RPM and 160 RPM strobe, both with text identifying the speed and without, all placed on the same sheet of paper for easy printing. Just download this document, and print it:
120_and_160rpm_60hz_strobe.pdf
You would want to use the 120 RPM strobe with your Edison Standard, although I included the 160 RPM strobe in the same page for convenience. If you are using Windows, you will most likely need Adobe Reader (which is free software) to print PDF documents, assuming you do not already have it installed.

Here are images showing the 4 strobe graphics in the PDF:

(120 RPM @ 60 Hz, with text)

(120 RPM @ 60 Hz, without text)

(160 RPM @ 60 Hz, with text)

(160 RPM @ 60 Hz, without text)

As mentioned in the PDF, the strobes were created with strobo.exe (attached below), then scaled in Illustrator for use timing cylinders.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if I can be of further assistance.

— MordEth

Hi David,

After searching around a bit I've learned that this stroboscope will not work as European power is 50hz. Can you or anyone else provide a printable download of a 50hz stroboscope like this? Thanks, Bruce (having recently recorded a bunch you youtube videos on my Triumph too fast :( )

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Bruce,

If you have a copy of Reiss' The Compleat Talking Machine you'll find a stroboscope for 50Hz in Appendix C.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!