Recording from Victrola - Tips sought

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Sartana
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victor Credenza

Recording from Victrola - Tips sought

Post by Sartana »

I am curious who has experimented with recording, via a mic, from their Victrola...or some other machine. I have a Victor Credenza and would like to try recording. I am most curious on mic placement, etc. I have a quality condenser mic (Shure KSM 141).

Again, just wondering who has tried this. I am looking for maximum quality via this method.

Thanks!

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Re: Recording from Victrola - Tips sought

Post by SonnyPhono »

I have been working on a Diamond Disc project for quite awhile now and have been posting videos on Youtube to compare and keep track of progress. I was using a cheap digital camera for the videos but needed to have HD audio for proper comparison. Recently I started recording using a mic placed in a mic stand about six feet away from the horn. I don't use any audio software to record, just the mic accessory that comes with Windows. There is some strange feedback in the form of low pitched thuds for some reason, but it still sounds better with a more true sound than before.

I hope others can help with suggestions on this topic. I'd really like to be able to record Diamond Discs in HD with no interference.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Re: Recording from Victrola - Tips sought

Post by VintageTechnologies »

SonnyPhono wrote:I hope others can help with suggestions on this topic. I'd really like to be able to record Diamond Discs in HD with no interference.
I have an old Sony dynamic stereo mike whose limited fidelity and sensitivity is ideal to filter out unwanted noises above and below the range of an acoustic record anyway. I remove the grill and lay a thick block of foam rubber in the mouth of the horn. Then I lay the mike on top the foam rubber block (which as a shock absorber isolates any mechanical vibrations from the mike). I tape the mike cord to secure it to the post the horn swivels on, and run the cord to the recorder. After I adjust the recording level, outside noises are rarely heard. You might also drape a folded wool blanket in front the cabinet to deaden external noises further.