Exhibition Back Flanges

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
scullylathe
Victor I

Exhibition Back Flanges

Post by scullylathe »

Does anyone know who is making good quality Exhibition back flanges these days? About 10 years ago I bought several from some supplier (don't recall who) and over time they've warped which doesn't seal the back of the reproducer (air leaks). Seems they were made from some sort of cheap moldable rubber product or even black silicone sealant as some areas on the surfaces are shiny, not dull as they should be. Anyway, they don't work properly. Anyone know a good supplier? I know some vendors also used to discount if you sent the brass ring which I would gladly do just to get a good replacement part. Thanks!

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Exhibition Back Flanges

Post by AZ* »

I've been generally satisfied with the ones that Ron Sitko sells, but some people prefer the more expensive ones sold by Rocky Mountain Rubber. There is a link to RMR on this page:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ?f=8&t=195
Best regards ... AZ*

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'll second AZ*s comment. Ron's flanges are perfectly fine, but if you want to really pimp out your Exhibition, the Rock Mountain Rubber isolators are a little nicer.

Sean

scullylathe
Victor I

Post by scullylathe »

I think I'll try the Rocky Mountain flange; checked out their website and it looks like they're good quality.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I swear by Rocky Mountain. Their back flanges are noticebly superior to any other's I've come across...and that's even before actually slapping it on the reproducer and playing a record.

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

Rocky Mountain Rubber needs you to send them the ring to mold the isolator around. If you do not have one I can mail a couple to you for free. Send me a PM.

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

I install the Rocky Mountain flange exclusively. I also hand mold these out of silicone, which is much softer. The result: the records have an eerie ambiance when they play.....you can hear things like tuba valves, timpani resonances, and Caruso's larynx getting sore. :) The softer silicone also allows the Exhibition to play Orthophonic discs like a little champ. I haven't machined the proper mold for it yet, just making them 1 at a time out of a clay mold. hey, it works!
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!