Rust Removal

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Zeppy
Victor III

Rust Removal

Post by Zeppy »

One one of the previous boards, someone posted a bit (along with before and after pictures of a Victor speed dial) on removing rust. It was some sort of acid they used (and it was very effective), and I was wondering if anyone has any idea what it was.

thanks

Victor78
Victor I

Re: Rust Removal

Post by Victor78 »

Hi Zep!

Was it Phosphoric acid? There is a post on the Edison board under Restoration Tips and Tricks about gold and nickle plating. Here is the full thread:
http://edisonphonos.proboards46.com/ind ... thread=576

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

I wonder if Shane still has his images—ImageShack seems to have lost them.

Thanks for tracking down this thread...I looked via Google, but was thinking it was somewhere else, so I didn’t have any luck finding it.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Victor78 wrote:Hi Zep!

Was it Phosphoric acid? There is a post on the Edison board under Restoration Tips and Tricks about gold and nickle plating. Here is the full thread:
http://edisonphonos.proboards46.com/ind ... thread=576

I think we have a winner!!

Thanks...I knew the answer was out there somewhere

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Sorry Zeppy, I've only just seen this thread.
It was a speed dial I posted, but I've no longer got the photo's. Here's a badly rusted lid stay I started on the other day.
The phosphoric acid is sold as rust converter, and is about 30% by volume. It should be a liquid a little thicker than water, and be either clear or green in colour.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

gramophoneshane wrote:Sorry Zeppy, I've only just seen this thread.
It was a speed dial I posted, but I've no longer got the photo's. Here's a badly rusted lid stay I started on the other day.
The phosphoric acid is sold as rust converter, and is about 30% by volume. It should be a liquid a little thicker than water, and be either clear or green in colour.

Thanks a bunch. I remember being impressed by the speed dial pictures, but for the life of me, couldn't remember what kind of acid it was (boy, that last comment sounds like it fell right out of my college years).

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

This is commonly sold as 'Naval Jelly'.
John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan