New member - Phonolamp Model C

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
beemererik
Victor Jr

New member - Phonolamp Model C

Post by beemererik »

Hi All,

I am a new member and new to phonographs. I have collected jukeboxes for a while and ran across the Phonolamp Model C from one of my jukebox sources. I liked the combination lamp/phonograph so I had to have it. It is not working and needs a little love. Since I know nothing about this I was hoping you guys could help with some information such as years made, how many are around now (how common is this), what is approximate value? The paint has a good bit of damage, but I know restoring things can devalue them. So I am inclined to leave it as is. I have replaced the wiring in the lamp and have to work on the frozen record mechanism soon. I have attached a few photos.

Where would I buy needles for this?

Thanks,
Erik Bahl
Huntsville.
Attachments
IMG_1679.JPG
DSC01016.JPG

beemererik
Victor Jr

Re: New member - Phonolamp Model C

Post by beemererik »

Sorry Guys, Looks like I posted this to the wrong section. Not sure how to move it.

Post by Guest »

Here is the ebay listing when it was for sale 390422158342. $3400.00 seems a lot for a 20's phono lamp.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Welcome, glad you decided to join. That phonolamp looks great. I don't know how to move a post from one place to another so perhaps one of the more knowledgeable members can help out.

Steve

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Nice one, I'm assuming that's the one Lloyd had for sale. I saw it, but alas, I'm out of room!

There are a variety of sources for needles around, check eBay for new steel single play steel needles. They come in various tones (soft, medium, loud, etc). I'm partial to half tone / medium tones myself, but it's all about what you prefer.

I recently had Rick Taylor rewire an electric motor for me for an electric EMG machine and I highly recommend him, he's extremely reasonable and fast. He's very familiar with these types of motors and jukes as well.

Sean (also a dabbler in jukes) :D

Post by Guest »

Hi Sean,

Can you provide the contact info for Rick Taylor. I disassembled the mechanism and one of the windings is bad on the armature. If this is something Rick can rewind I would like to get in touch with him.

This is the one Lloyd had.

Regards,
Erik

beemererik
Victor Jr

Post by beemererik »

Hi Sean,

Can you provide the contact info for Rick Taylor. I disassembled the mechanism and one of the windings is bad on the armature. If this is something Rick can rewind I would like to get in touch with him.

This is the one Lloyd had.

Regards,
Erik

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

PM sent!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

If you have a local business that rebuilds alternators, they can probably rewind the motor for you.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife