New Grill Cloth

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Victor78
Victor I

New Grill Cloth

Post by Victor78 »

Ive found a little time to work on the Brunswick 212 that I started in the Paint Spatter thread a while ago. The grill cloth had many holes, and just about fell off of the grill. Anyone have any good tips on replacing the cloth with new material and what you use for adhesive. Thanks a bunch! Soon I'll have some pics of the finished machine :D

- Jim

scooter
Victor O

Re: New Grill Cloth

Post by scooter »

Jim,
I just put new grill cloth on my C-200 that you can see in my other thread. I went to JoAnn fabrics and found some sheer material or light curtain liner. I avoided the shiny synthetic type and got some that looks like cotton or a blend.

For adhesive, I used the 3M spray adhesive that I used on the turntable felt. I didn't spray it on the back of the grill though. I sprayed some on a paper plate then used a Q-tip to carefully wipe it along the outer edge of the grill only. I put the fabric on one side then I could stretch it a bit to the other sides and get a good smooth result. This took all of about 10 minutes.

The other option would be to use some sort of glue that needs to dry. This would require clamping or tacking the fabric down while it dried. Based on looking at my Edison C-19 with original cloth, I think this is how it was done then. I can see the brad holes along one side of the grill and it must have been clamped on the other. The 3M adhesive works very well and the fabric could easily be removed if I change my mind on the color.
Scott

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Good information Scott, thank you! I have 2 grills to do, and have been putting the first one off until now. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how it went. Thanks again!

- Jim

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I used a thick super glue available at arts and crafts stores like Michael's. I can't recall the name but it spreads like elmers and with a little presure, it sets right away. What it does is soak into the threads of the fabric and then holds tight right away.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

I tried Scotts idea with the 3M adhesive since I had some around from doing turntable felts, and it worked wonders. Here is a picture of the Brunswick Style 212 almost complete. The discoloration on the doors is actually some sort of reflection. Being in the 'dungeon' yet, the light isn't the best for taking pics. But at least you can see that it turned out great!

I started in one corner and got that secured well, then went one direction, then worked the other direction until I had one side that was free of glue. Then worked that edge until the wrinkles were out. Worked so well, I did my A-100 too since I had the glue and things out.

All good information here! Thanks to Scott and Brad!

- Jim
Attachments
DSC01076s.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Nice machine- Brunswick's oval grilles liven up otherwise fairly plain machines.

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Thanks! It was a good project, the results were pretty good considering what It looked like when I got it.

Anyone know about the slide out record bins and what the finish is on them? Mine are all chipped up, not the wood, but whatever was put on them. Im not sure if it some sort of paint or what. Howards Restore Finish or any type of oil didnt touch them. It a tan color behind the brown. Or, I could just leave them alone and enjoy the machine. I put fresh gaskets in the reproducer (both sides) and it sounds great! Now, to find another project....

- Jim
Attachments
b1.jpg
b2.jpg

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Jim,

Great job! That Brunnie looks magnificent. :D

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

frankt
Victor Jr

Post by frankt »

grillecloth.com has many varieties of grillecloth to choose from, many like original. if the grill originally had splines holding the cloth, these can be replaced with ⅛ wooden dowels available at hobby shops, but the dowels can be flattened on a couple sides with a hand sander. i did this on a couple of my orthophonic machines, no need for glue. grillecloth.com has a pattern that is almost identical to the original orthophonic pattern that was used on orthophonic machines, very reasonable cost.

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi
If you are buying a piece of cloth from a fabric store, try to get one that the air flows through freely, otherwise it will dull the sound of your record. The cloth can be glued with shellac or Hide glue, you can also use contact adhesive but this is more difficult to remove if you want to change the cloth in the future.
Regards Marcel