Suggested Books On Our Hobby

Post links to your phonograph-related site, YouTube channel, or other useful information here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Suggested Books On Our Hobby

Post by Jerry B. »

The following is a list of books that pertain to our hobby. It is not an attempt at a complete list but ones that are in my library. So many basic questions can be answered if you own or have access to a fraction of these books.
Books specific to a specific manufactures or types:
"The Edison Cylinder Phonographs" by George Frow (out of print but available but available as an e-book)
"Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion" by George Frow
"The Edison Disc Phonograph and the Diamond Discs" by George Frow
"Columbia Phonograph Companion - Volume 1" by Howard Hazelcorn (cylinder machines)
"Columbia Phonograph Companion Volume II" by Robert W. Baumbach & Mac Lackey (disk machines)
"Look For The Dog - An Illustrated Guide to Victor Talking Machines" by Robert W. Baumbach
"Victor Data Book" by Robert W. Baumbach
"Tinfoil Phonographs" by Rene' Rondeau
"The Berliner Gramophone an Illustrated History" by Mark Caruana-Dingli
The following list are books authored by Tim Fabrizio and George Paul. As many know, George is a valued member of our Forum. His only flaw is his modesty so if you would like to make a purchase, please check with George first. These books are nothing less than a feast for your eyes as well as a great deal of information. If any friend or loved one needs a suggestion for a phono gift, you can't miss with any selection.
"Phonographs With Flair: A Century Of Style In Sound Reproduction"
"The Talking Machine - An Illustrated Compendium"
"Accessories & Contraptions"
"Phongraphica - The Early History Of Recorded Sound Observed"
"Antique Phonograph Advertising - An Illustrated History"
"Discovering Antique Phonographs 1877- 1929"
"Antique Phonograph - Gadgets, Gizmos, & Gimmicks"
"The World Of Antique Phonographs"
Great books by Joan & Robin Rolfs:
"Nipper Collectibles"
"Nipper Collectibles Volume II"
"Phonograph Dolls and Toys"
Possibly the most valuable book for the new collector is "The Compleat Talking Machine" by Eric L. Reiss. There is a wealth of information about basic repairs as well as some phono history and many photos. I highly recommend this book.
The following books were the first books related to our hobby. If you've ever wondered where the anti Columbia Graphophone or Zonophone bias came from, read "Tinfoil to Stereo. It is full of bias and many phono errors but was considered a collectors bible by early collectors. In spite of the flaws I believe it is worth reading. Gelatt's book was a valuable resource, free of errors, and worth owning.
"The Fabulous Phonograph" by Roland Gelatt - 1954
"From Tinfoil To Stereo" by Oliver Read & Walter Welch - 1959 (It is available in three additions. The 1994 3rd addition is best avoided. It is a condensed but kept all the errors.)
The above list is by no means a complete list. I would welcome additions and your comments about a particular book.
Jerry Blais 2/9/2015
Last edited by Jerry B. on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victor VI

Re: Suggested Books On Our Hobby

Post by 52089 »

So glad that Jerry posted this. This should be a standard reference for all the new collectors who have been joining the board.

The only things I can add are reference books on records:

Collector's Guide to Victor Records by Michael Sherman
Collector's Guide to Edison Records by George Copeland and Michael Sherman
Edison Disc Recordings by Raymond Wile (presumed long out of print)

plus just about anything published by Mainspring Press including indexes for Blue Amberols, Wax Amberols, etc.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks, Jerry, for this informative list. It's amazing how lucky you can become once you educate yourself! I only wish all these books had been available back when I was starting out - - I'd have been a lot luckier...

For anyone interested in learning more about the Fabrizio-Paul books, each one is described in detail here:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... oks#p91754

Best to all,

George P.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I'll add 2 more:

Edison Cylinder Records 1889-1912 by Allan Koenigsberg - the definitive book on Edison 2 minute cylinders

The Furniture Doctor by George Grotz - quick solutions to almost any type of woodworking problem you might ever have.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Here are a few suggestions for British and European collectors :

Edison Phonograph : The British Connection (Frank Andrews)
Collecting Phonographs and Gramophones (Christopher Proudfoot)
The EMG Story (Frank James)
His Master's Gramophone (Brian Oakley & Christopher Proudfoot)
The Illustrated History of Phonographs (Daniel Marty)

All but the HMV book are long out of print but are well worth seeking out on the secondhand market.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

phonogfp wrote:For anyone interested in learning more about the Fabrizio-Paul books, each one is described in detail here:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... oks#p91754
Geroge, I'm a bit puzzled about the order in which your books are best read. It is clear that some of them are on specific topics (accessories, advertising, etc.) and are perhaps best read later, but what about the "generic" ones? Would you suggest reading them in the same order in which they have been printed, or is there a specific one (not necessarily the first) that you would suggest as first reading?

Useless to say I would like to have them all but, although they're inexpensive for being illustrated books with quality pictures, they're still comparatively costly for the avarage salary here.

By the way thank you very much for finding the time to write some kind positive words about my modest WWI commemoration "gramophone concert". It's been an unexpected endorsement for such a modest gramophone enthusiast as I am! :oops:

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

I'll add a few not listed above (with ISBN and Title) that come in handy:

1872727492 - His Master's Voice: The Perfect Portable Gramophone
0953534707 - HMV Gramophones 1921-1936
0578159492 - Nipper Collectibles: The RCA Victor Trademark Dog III
0870692224 - Veteran Talking Machines
0811803023 - Phono-graphics: The visual paraphernalia of the talking machine

:)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:
Geroge, I'm a bit puzzled about the order in which your books are best read. It is clear that some of them are on specific topics (accessories, advertising, etc.) and are perhaps best read later, but what about the "generic" ones? Would you suggest reading them in the same order in which they have been printed, or is there a specific one (not necessarily the first) that you would suggest as first reading?

Useless to say I would like to have them all but, although they're inexpensive for being illustrated books with quality pictures, they're still comparatively costly for the avarage salary here.

By the way thank you very much for finding the time to write some kind positive words about my modest WWI commemoration "gramophone concert". It's been an unexpected endorsement for such a modest gramophone enthusiast as I am! :oops:
Hi Marco,

Please excuse the delay in my response - I haven't checked this "Links" section for awhile and only now saw your question. :oops:

First, I think you're doing yourself a disservice in describing yourself as a "...such a modest gramophone enthusiast..." The care you took in preparing your admirable presentation shows a person who is not only enthusiastic, but respectful of his subject and his audience. Your modesty is admirable, but from my perspective we can all learn something from enthusiasts like you. :)

As for our books, you ask a good question; one that I've never heard put quite that way. For someone already somewhat well-versed in our hobby, I don't think it makes much difference in which order the books are read. However, for someone starting out, the Compendium is probably the best book with which to begin. After that, I suppose it might make sense to continue with the "machine" books (Discovering; Flair; and World of...). On the other hand, Advertising not only gives an excellent overview of the early marketing of talking machines, but many of the images contain lots of information. For instance, where else can a collector read through an ENTIRE 1894 catalog of Graphophones? The interpolation of hard information and beautiful marketing is one of things I like about Advertising. The same may be said of Phonographica, with perhaps a bit more emphasis on aesthetics. I've heard at least two non-collectors say that Phonographica is their favorite because of the sheer eye candy it contains. Maybe for that reason it should be among the first books for a neophyte. Hmmm... It's becoming obvious that I'm making a mess of this.

Ultimately, I guess the order should depend upon the person and their intentions. If the person is already "hooked" on antique talking machines, go with the Compendium. If they need "dinner and a movie" first, perhaps some less-technical eye candy might provide the necessary seduction... ;)

George P.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

George, thank you very much for taking time to reply in such a committed and detailed way. That, in return, shows your abiding enthusiasm for the matter and the pleasure of sharing your knowledge with others. :)

I indeed figured that the "Compendium" and the "Advertising" books might perhaps be the best ones to start with for my taste (I also enjoy very much Belle Époque and Art Nouveau / Déco visual arts), and as you seem to also second this choice, I will surely go for them in the near future. ;)

And of course thank you once again for your very kind compliments! :oops:

Odeon
Victor I
Personal Text: Stomp off, let´s go !

Post by Odeon »

If you are really interested in the way how a gramophone is working (and all the physics behind that), you´ll have to get a copy of "Modern Gramophones And Electrical Reproducers" written in 1929 by Percy Wilson.

No Victor, Columbia or Edison - but real knowledge about the art of sound recording and reproducing.