FOUND: Victor VTLA Marquetry Under Lid

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

FOUND: Victor VTLA Marquetry Under Lid

Post by CDBPDX »

Just brought home a nice Victor VTLA with some of the marquetry missing under the lid. I would like to replace that. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Cliff
Last edited by CDBPDX on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

EarlH
Victor III

Re: WANTED: Victor VTLA Marquetry Under Lid

Post by EarlH »

Do you mean that applied fretwork veneer below where the lid sets? I have some of that up in my attic if that's what you are talking about. A picture might be helpful. Take care now, and good luck with you project. Earl.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

EarlH wrote:Do you mean that applied fretwork veneer below where the lid sets? I have some of that up in my attic if that's what you are talking about. A picture might be helpful. Take care now, and good luck with you project. Earl.
Thanks, Earl. Yes, the fretwork veneer along the front is pretty much all gone. Attached is a photo that shows the missing segments.

Sounds like your attic might be a fun place to poke around in.

Cliff
Attachments
VIC-VTLA-11732A_0001a.jpg
VIC-VTLA-11732A_0001a.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I generally run into Earl on the Union trip and would be glad to bring the trim back. Jerry

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

CDBPDX wrote:
EarlH wrote:Do you mean that applied fretwork veneer below where the lid sets? I have some of that up in my attic if that's what you are talking about. A picture might be helpful. Take care now, and good luck with you project. Earl.
Thanks, Earl. Yes, the fretwork veneer along the front is pretty much all gone. Attached is a photo that shows the missing segments.

Sounds like your attic might be a fun place to poke around in.

Cliff
I can just mail you one whole side. I'll be up in my attic later on this week and I'll dig it out. I saw it last week when I was up there pulling pump organ parts out of there. Along with other projects that have been up there for 20 or more years that need to go away..... I know none of you have anything like that lurking around. Anyway, it's not big deal to mail it out to you and I doubt it will be more than $15 to get it out there. You can lift that veneer stuff off there and fill in what's missing on yours. An old iron and a wet rag should loosen it up if it doesn't want to come loose any other way. Usually that stuff lifts up fairly easily with a little bit of fussing. It's from a VTLA I junked out a long time ago that had most of the veneer pulled off one side of it. It also had some serious issues with the doors, et. (in case someone thinks I destroyed a nice machine). I had to patch one of those back together on one of those VTLA machines 10-15 years ago and it really went well.

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

EarlH wrote:I can just mail you one whole side. I'll be up in my attic later on this week and I'll dig it out. I saw it last week when I was up there pulling pump organ parts out of there. Along with other projects that have been up there for 20 or more years that need to go away..... I know none of you have anything like that lurking around. Anyway, it's not big deal to mail it out to you and I doubt it will be more than $15 to get it out there. You can lift that veneer stuff off there and fill in what's missing on yours. An old iron and a wet rag should loosen it up if it doesn't want to come loose any other way. Usually that stuff lifts up fairly easily with a little bit of fussing. It's from a VTLA I junked out a long time ago that had most of the veneer pulled off one side of it. It also had some serious issues with the doors, et. (in case someone thinks I destroyed a nice machine). I had to patch one of those back together on one of those VTLA machines 10-15 years ago and it really went well.
Thanks! I'll send the particulars via PM.

YeeHaa! Cliff