For Sale: AMBEROLA 30 PRE-CUT VENEER KITS $25 plus shipping

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: For Sale: AMBEROLA 30 PRE-CUT VENEER KITS $25 plus shipp

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

WE HAVE RETURNED--

and the veneer is still available.

Order up if you need it!

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"Someone advised me to sell top veneer separately because that part falls off frequently."

Yes. That's true. It's probably because the lid sees the most use...

Even though All Amberola 30 machines have all the same dimensions on the Sides, Front and Back of the bottom cabinets, On the lids, They do not.

There were three different types of Amberola 30 Lids that were used, Type I, and Type II, and finally a completely different lid, Type III.

Type I and Type II lids look almost identical, but the "Steps"(levels) in the lids are slightly different. Type III only has one "Step" and has a much different design.

If you cut a piece of Veneer 8 ½" x 12" , It will cover all three types. I just took measurements of all the different lids of all my Amberola 30 Machines.

All have different sizes and dimensions of Top Veneer.

Originally, Years ago, I thought that there were only Two different types of Amberola 30 Lids....An Early Type, and a Late Type... Then a Third type appeared one time that looks close to the Early type, but was a bit different, I though that it might have a been a Amberola X Lid (Since they do fit), but it turned out that it was not. I then realized that there was even a third Type Lid...similar to the Type I Lid, but had different "Steps"...

So, For the Top Lids, A piece of Veneer 8 ½" x 12" is what you'd have to include in your "Kit" to cover everyone.

I'll have to see if I can grab some pics of each type of Amberola 30 lid and post them here when I get a chance..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Pics or it didn't happen!
Attachments
DSCF1004.JPG
DSCF1003.JPG
DSCF1002.JPG
DSCF1001.JPG

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That piece of veneer looks great! Regarding the Amberola pictured, does that have any new replacement veneer on it? It looks great.

I bought an Amberola 30 at the APS show (shoutout to Mike Sorter for a great deal) and I have enjoyed it tremendously. The veneer is surprisingly in not-bad condition so I won't need any replacement for this one--amazing--but the cabinet is an early one, and I know that the later ones are more prone to veneer issues.

I've used my new Amberola as a guinea pig for reproducer tweaking and I must say I'm very impressed with how these can sound. I've hauled it around the house and backyard and it's a cheerful companion for a lazy day. I think every collector should have one, even if you have larger models, because of the size and convenience. If you've got a battered one waiting in a dark corner somewhere, think about restoring it.

VanEpsFan1914, that grille cloth color looks spot-on. It is inspiring me to add some to mine.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks for the kind words--the Amberola pictured is covered in my new veneer with the exception of the back panel.

Grill cloth was acquired on eBay sold as "Victrola Grill Cloth" or something like that.

Regarding sound quality--a few years ago 30-bashing was common online, mainly due to the small horns on these machines. The difference between now and then is that modern diaphragms are available. Mine has the excellent True-Tone diaphragm installed, because of deterioration of the original...(part of the bad original lives on inside a 1906 Columbia, see my post in the Tips forum.)

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

Wow, that 30 looks great! May I ask what stain you used during the restoration? That grille cloth seems to match the machine perfectly as well.

Stephen

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The stain is a Minwax Dark Oak, wiped on and wiped off again before it could be allowed to dry. Clearcoat is a Bull's Eye orange (or amber, as they call it these days) thinned with denatured alcohol--I think there are three or four coats on the little machine, and while they aren't deep as fine furniture, it's a good finish for the cheap and cheerful charmer that the 30 is.

I play it a lot for my 4m celluloid records. It's user-friendly and sounds awesome. Also, my 4-minute Standard E is sitting up high and I have to stand on tiptoe to crank it.